Day 27: Storms

Apologizing has become tedious... I know it's been two weeks or around there and I dropped off the map with no warning or explanation, but I am here now, and I get that this isn't how 30 day challenges work but I'm going to try to finish the last three days and see what happens from there on out. Thank you all for your patience.

This is day 27, I've seen a few one shots about Sherlock being scared of storms or whatever but I didn't really like how they would portray him, so I gave it a shot myself and I don't know if it's any better but ah well.

*****

Sherlock stood in front of the window in the living area with his violin, playing a melancholy tune as John stared at his back, letting the music flow through their silent flat around them.

It was dark outside, the soft patter of rain on the roof surrounded them as well, the mix of those two sounds becoming pure bliss. Sherlock stopped his playing and dropped his arms, letting both his bow and violin hang limply.

"What was that one called," John asked quietly, afraid that too much volume would break the peaceful atmosphere.

"La Vie En Rose," Sherlock replied calmly, gaze still focused on what's behind the glass panes, "one of my favorites, it always calms me," John smiled and shifted in his seat.

"Its beautiful," Sherlock nodded, "what's making you upset?" John asked, figuring there was a reason this was the first time he's heard this song.

"I'm not fond of storms," John raised his eyebrows, surprised, Sherlock turned around and set his violin and bow on the table, walking over to take a seat in his chair.

"You're scared of storms?" John inquired and Sherlock stared at him sharply, his lips forming a pout.

"I'm not scared of them, I just don't like them," Sherlock rolled his eyes, John smiled.

"You are scared of them," he grinned and Sherlock sighed dramatically, staring daggers at John, "it's fine, we all have our fears," John pursed his lips to refrain from smiling, "but there's no need to worry, this storm will pass as quickly as the other ones here," John encouraged, figuring that it would be just like all the afternoon rainfalls in London.

"What's yours?" Sherlock asked after a minute of silence and John squinted his eyes, confused.

"My what?"

"Your fear, you said everyone has a fear of something," Sherlock tilted his head slightly still watching John, John shook his head.

"Well, everyone except me," John joked, but Sherlock didn't laugh.

"Please," he looked at the ground, "it will distract me," he pleaded and John noticed his sincerity.

"Heights," John said flatly and Sherlock looked up, blinking at him before smiling.

"Heights?" he questioned with a small smirk and John raised his brows in warning, "It's just so.. Generic," Sherlock continued and John sighed. 

"At least I'm not scared of storms," Sherlocks smile disappeared at that and he looked at the wall behind John, "I didn't.." John sighed and the soft patter of rain began violently coming down onto the glass of the window.

Sherlock quickly looked into Johns eyes for comfort, worry morphing onto his features, John looked back into his eyes and noticed the fear.

"It's going to clear soon enough," John reassured and Sherlock nodded, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, "why don't we do something to distract you?" John suggested and Sherlock opened his eyes, studying John. (That sounded very sexual, not my intentions)

"Okay," he said innocently and John stood up, putting out his hand for Sherlock to grab, Sherlock did and John hoisted him out of his chair before a large crack of thunder sounded. The taller man squeezed John's hand then let it go quickly.

"Sorry," he mumbled and John smiled at him, shaking his head in a way of excusing the gesture.

"Come on," John turned around and began walking to the kitchen, another clap of thunder reverberated through the room, this time causing the lights to flicker and go out.

"John?" he could only hear Sherlocks panic, he turned around in the blackness in efforts to reach the other man.

Sherlock stumbled in the dark and grabbed onto the top John's chair tightly, taking deep breaths and squeezing his eyes shut to remain calm, John grabbed his arm and Sherlock jumped.

"Oh my God," Sherlock reached up and touched where John's hand was, "you scared the shit out of me," he exhaled quickly and John squeezed his bicep, letting him know that he was safe.

"We're fine, Sherlock," John said softly, in hopes to calm the man.

The lightning outside was the only thing that illuminated the room, the consistent flashing helped the two men see each other, the continuous thundering however, made Sherlock's ears ring.

Sherlocks breathing was fast paced and his eyes remained shut, trying to block out the noise, John held onto his arm tightly before realizing that it wasn't enough and instead pulled Sherlocks entire body into his arms.

Sherlock tensed before sinking into the touch, wrapping his arms around the shorter man and looking up at the ceiling.

"You're going to be fine," John assured and began shifting, moving towards the couch with Sherlock still wrapped in his arms. He reached the leather couch and sat with his back against the armrest, pulling Sherlock to his side in between him and the cushions.

He put his arm on Sherlock's shoulder and encouraged him to cuddle against his chest, and Sherlock did, resting his cheek on Johns shoulder and his arm on Johns abdomen, listening to the steady heart beat of the man under him and trying to focus on only that as John rubbed up and down his arm.

"John?" Sherlock whispered, John glanced down at him, humming, "I feel like this is really intimate," John laughed quietly and Sherlock moved his head so he could meet John's eyes, "if you're uncomfortable-"

"Sherlock stop," John interrupted him, Sherlock watched his lips as he spoke, "You're fine," John put the hand that was rubbing his arm into his hair, running his fingers through the silky locks.

Sherlock hummed and closed his eyes, moving his head back to a comfortable position on Johns chest. The thunder cracked again but this time Sherlock maintained his composure and only flinched slightly. Slowly the storm died down and once it was quiet outside Sherlock was already asleep on Johns chest.

"Sherlock?" John whispered, he made no movement and John smiled, returning to running his fingers through Sherlocks hair before falling into a peaceful sleep himself.

*****

Thanks for reading and all the support, 9,000 reads?! You guys are insane, I appreciate it soooooo much omg, I never expected to actually have people read something I wrote.

I will try to be more active, see you the next time I see you I guess.