fifteen: just drop it

Billie

I woke up this morning without a clue where I was. As soon as my eyes opened I knew I wasn't in my bed. The room was bright, with sunlight beaming through the curtains. 

Then I remembered where I was. I had stayed round at Ben's house after the party last night. I looked to my right. Maddie was facing me, but she was fast asleep. He lipstick was smudged all over her face from where she'd been sleeping with her make up on and her hair had been chucked up into a bun.

I couldn't remember a single thing about the night before. How much had I had to drink?

I decided to sit up and get a drink, but as soon as I did, my head felt like someone had hit me with a sledgehammer. I scrunched my eyes shut, the light was suddenly too bright to bare. I held my hand to my forehead, as if that would do anything to help. Then suddenly, a wave of nausea washed over me. I jumped up from where I was sat, and ran for the bathroom, avoiding the sleeping bodies on the floor around me. As soon as I got there, I locked the door, knelt down and threw up straight into the toilet. I managed to keep my hair back, but the smell was awful. After getting everything out of my system, I flushed the loo, washed my hands and left the bathroom. 

I wondered to the kitchen in search of some water. But when I walked in I saw the boy from the concert. Then the memories of the night before flooded in. 

I remembered making eye contact with him from across the room. And following him inside for a drink. We took tequila shots together, and we chatted and I slept next to him last night.

I forgot to check what I looked like in the bathroom mirror. Knowing how I usually look in the morning, I didn't want to know how bad I looked. I tried to smooth my hair down before he saw me, and rubbed underneath my eyes in case my mascara had smudged. 

'Hey.' He said as he turned around. 

'Morning.' I said. I felt awkward and shy. I remember feeling more confident last night, and I begun to wish I was more like my drunk self naturally. I looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact.

'You must have a bad hangover.' He said, laughing slightly. I forced a laugh, but his comment had reminded me about how much my head hurts. I needed some water.

'Yeah.' I said. 'I was just getting some water.' I started walking towards the sink, which Grayson was standing next to. But he beat me to it and was already filling a glass with water. I smiled at him and said 'Thank you.' I took a long drink of the water. It was cool in my throat and I felt refreshed. My head was still pounding but at least I had quenched my thirst for now.

'I'm still giving you a lift home, right?' He asked. I had completely forgotten about that as well. But I couldn't really turn it down since there was no one else to take us home.

'If that's still okay.' I said. I drank a bit more of my water, before thinking of something to say. 'I hope I wasn't too much of a mess last night.' I let out a shy laugh. I was starting to feel slightly more comfortable.

'No, you were fine.' He said, leaning against the kitchen counter. 'But your friend Maddie almost broke her head on the table at one point.' We both laughed as he reminded me of last night, in the kitchen, when Grayson had caught Maddie before she fell onto the table. 

I was remembering more and more details of the events of last night as we spoke. I remembered that he told me he was eighteen, and that he thought Ben had a little crush on Madison. And I remembered jumping off the counter, when he grabbed my hands.

'I like your eyes.'  

I had never thought that my boring, brown eyes were really that special. It was nice to know he did. I told him I liked his as well. Who wouldn't like his eyes? They were bright and warm. They showed that he was a nice guy, underneath the 'bad boy' exterior he tries to show people. I see through it.