twenty seven: fucked up and dangerous

Billie

I really thought Grayson was going to kiss me for the first time. We were so close. And after we admitted our feelings to each other, it seemed like there was nothing else in the world that we had to think about.

But I didn't happen.

Just as Grayson was about to put his lips on mine, someone interrupted us. The boy from the concert. The boy who was grabbing me and pulling me into him. The boy that Grayson helped me get away from.

My stomach dropped as I realised who it was. I couldn't help by feel slightly scared by the sight of him. Without realising I was doing it, I grabbed Grayson's hand and squeezed it tightly. I felt him squeeze back but his eyes were glued to the boy.

'What do you want, George?' Grayson said through clenched teeth. I could see him getting angrier by the second. I didn't realise they actually knew each other. 

'I just wanted to come and have a chat.' George said. I realised I'd been holding my breath, so I forced myself to breathe again. 'I didn't like the way you handled things the other night.' He said. Grayson's grip on my hand tightened and I began to worry that things might get out of hand.

'What are you gonna do about it then?' Grayson said. He suddenly let go of my hand and stood up.

I stood up quickly after and walked up behind Grayson. I touched his arm gently, trying to calm him down. I don't think he even realised that I had my hand on his arm because his eyes never moved from George. 

'Grayson, let's just go.' I said, tugging gently on his arm. At first he didn't move. But after a moment he broke his stare and wrapped his arm around my waist protectively. We began walking away and I thought we had gotten away with it. That was until George spoke again.

'Walk away Grayson.' He said. 'If you stay here you might lose a fight and your bitch.'

At that, Grayson let go of me completely and was headed back towards George before I could do anything. I chased after him but I wasn't fast enough. Grayson had punched George straight in the jaw, sending George stumbling backwards.

'Grayson, stop!' I shouted, but he didn't hear me. Instead he ran at George and tackled him to the ground. I stood there, not knowing what to do.

Suddenly George flipped Grayson over and pinned him to the ground. He began punching Grayson repeatedly. I tried so hard not to look away. Instead, I forced myself to run towards them. I used the momentum of my running to shove George off of Grayson. I grabbed Grayson's arm, hoping to get him to stop the fight. But it was like he had forgotten I was there. He pulled himself away and ran back towards George. Before I knew it, Grayson was on top of George, punching his face. It looked just like that night at the concert. I was screaming for Grayson to stop but it was like he had blocked everything out.

I had to do something to make him stop. I ran over and pulled Grayson's face up, forcing him to look at me. Our eyes me and he immediately stopped punching George. His face was already bruising and he had blood running from his lip and eyebrow. He was panting but still looking at me.

'Come on.' I said. This time when I pulled on his arm, he came with me. We left George groaning on the floor.

Walking back to the car was a silent journey. I had my arm wrapped around Grayson's waist for support and I made him put his arm on my shoulder. But he wasn't leaning any weight onto me. I figured he didn't want me to think he was really hurt. He stared at the ground all the way back to the car park.

'Grayson, I don't think you should drive.' I said. I was worried that he might be hurting more than he was letting show, and that his black eye was blurring his vision.