twenty eight: Jane and Peter

Grayson

I don't know how long we kissed for. But it wasn't long enough.

Her lips were so soft and warm and I never wanted to be apart from them. I moved my hands from her face to her neck, her arms, her back. She wrapped her arms around my neck. I pulled her onto my lap as I was sat on her bed. For once I had to crane my neck up to meet her lips.

When we eventually broke apart, we were panting slightly and neither of us could hide our huge grins. She laughed shyly as I reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear. She was perfect. Perfect for me. I know I'd just said that she had to stay away, but I was so wrong. I needed her. She calmed me. The only reason I stopped punching George was because I saw her.

I couldn't believe that I had just cried in front of her. I've only remember crying twice before. One was when my Granddad died when I was seven, and the other was the first time my dad hit me, when I was nine. I don't know what it was about her, but Billie made me feel all kinds of emotions that I could never reach before. I didn't even feel embarrassed about it, that's how comfortable she made me feel.

Suddenly I heard the front door open. Billie jumped off of me in a flash. A man shouted Billie's name from downstairs, and I could only guess that it was her dad. My heart started racing, and I could tell her's did too. 

'Shit!' Billie said. Her face was filled with panic so I tried not to show mine. 'They're gonna kill me.' She whisper-shouted.

'It's fine, just say I got hurt in the rugby and you had to clean me up.' I whispered back, trying to reassure her.

'Are you sure you're ready to meet them?' She asked me. 'I know you weren't keen on the idea before. You could hide in my room until they go to bed.' I laughed silently at her suggestions. 

When she mentioned that her parents wanted to meet me earlier, I was a little shocked. But I realised that it was only because of my own experiences. You could hardly call my mum and dad parents, they didn't treat me like their son. And I knew that not every family was like mine.

'I'm ready.' I said, taking her hands. I pulled her into me and looked into her eyes so that she knew I was telling the truth. 'Go and tell them.' She smiled up at me before heading for the door.

Before she could reach it I decided to pull her back. When she stumbled back to me, she looked at me with a confused expression. Then I kissed her. It was only a short kiss, but it was passionate. She beamed at me before running out the room. I stood by the door, eavesdropping the conversation.

'Hey.' Billie said sheepishly.

'Hi darling, how was the rugby?' I guessed that was her mum speaking. 

'It was good thanks.' Billie said.

'Was that boyfriend of yours any good?' Her dad laughed. I listened even closer to hear Billie's answer.

'He's not my boyfriend, dad. But yes, he was the best on his team I think.' She said. I couldn't help but smile. I had tried my best in the match today, because I knew she was watching.

'Okay, well I'm going to make dinner, so it should be ready in about half an hour.' Billie's mum told her. 

'Mum, um, about Grayson.' She said slowly. 'He actually hurt himself in the match and I kind of had to bring him back here to clean his face up.' She trailed off. 'So he's actually upstairs right now.' Silence.

'Right.' Her dad said cautiously. 'Why is he upstairs?' He asked.

'Because I was helping him wash off up there, nothing happened I promise.' She said. Well, that wasn't exactly true.

'You're lucky I trust you Billie.' Her dad said with a stern voice. 'Ask us next time.'

'Well let's meet him then!' Billie's mum said in a slightly more excited voice.

The sound of Billie's footsteps running up the stairs startled me and I back away from the door so that she didn't know I had listened to that whole conversation. As soon as she arrived at the door, she grabbed my hand without a word and dragged me down the stairs.

Billie's parents were waiting at the bottom. Her mum had dark hair, like Billie, but it was cut into a bob. I could tell Billie got most of her looks from her mum, brown eyes, dark hair and big lips. Billie didn't look much like her dad. They had similar features, but not us much as her mum. Her dad had dark hair as well, but it was turning grey. He looked like a jolly person because his wrinkly face was creased from years of smiling. I felt a pang of jealousy in my stomach, they already seemed like better parents than mine and I hadn't even spoken to them yet.

I forced a smile as I came down the stairs and took a deep breath, preparing myself for this conversation.

'Hi Grayson, it's nice to meet you.' Billie's mum said. Her smile was warm and welcoming and it turned my fake smile into a real one.

'Hi Mrs Simmons.' I said, trying to make a good first impression. 'It's nice to meet you too. Hi Mr Simmons.' I turned to Billie's dad.

'Please, call me Jane.' Her mum said. 'And this is Peter.' She pointed at Billie's dad.

I smile, grateful to Jane for being so nice to me. I looked back to Peter. He was looking me up and down. I had a feeling he might be a tougher egg to crack, like most dads are. But after a moment, his stern look cracked into a smile and he began making a conversation with me.

'So you're a rugby lad?' He asked, patting me on the shoulder. I realised I was still holding onto Billie's hand, but when Peter led me to the kitchen I had to let go. I was a little nervous about not being near to Billie, but she follow us into the room with her mum and I felt more at ease.

I spoke to Billie's parents about myself for about half an hour. Every now and then I looked over to Billie and saw her grinning at me. She was obviously as relieved as me that her parents liked me. 

'Well, you have to stay for dinner.' Jane said, clapping her hands together. 'We're having pizza.'

I was ready to reject but the excitement on Billie face cut me short and I said yes. At least it meant I got to spend more time with her.

'We're going upstairs while you make dinner then.' Billie said as she walked over to me and grabbed my hand.

'Okay,' Peter said, 'but keep the door open!' He called after us as we walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Once we were back up to Billie's room, we both sat on her bed. I wrapped my arm around her and she snuggled into me.

'They love you!' Billie said excitedly.

'Thank fuck for that.' I laughed.

Billie looked up at me with her big brown eyes. I lent down and kissed her again. It just seemed natural now, and neither of us were nervous about it anymore.