thirty nine: one more kiss

Billie

A few days after Boxing Day, Grayson had called me up to tell me he got a job interview at a car dealership on the other side of town. He wouldn't admit it but I knew he was panicking.

On the day of the interview I told him to come to my house before, and to dress nice. When he arrived I made him eat a sandwich and drink some water so he wasn't being interviewed on an empty stomach. I gave him some practice questions that he might be asked in the interview and was surprised out how good his answers were.

'Baby, if I don't get this, there's no chance of me getting out of that house.' He sighed, shaking his hands nervously. He was wearing a shirt and some black trousers, I had never seem him look so smart. I walked up to him and straightened the collar of his shirt.

'You've got this, I know you have.' I told him honestly. 'Those answers you just told me were perfect.'

'Yeah, but that's because it was you. You make me calm, but in the interview I'm gonna be freaking out.' He was still shaking his hands so I grabbed them.

'Then think of me.' I said, looking into his green eyes. He immediately relaxed and even smiled slightly. I gave him a quick peck on the lips before saying 'We should get going.'

We drove silently to the car dealership. Our fingers were laced together in my lap and I stroked his palm with my thumb, trying to keep him calm. Once we arrived, though, I could tell that his nerves had picked up again.

'What if they see my car and think its a piece of shit.' He asked.

'They won't.' I said, unsure of how to really answer the question.

We parked in the visitor car park and he turned to me.

'How do I look?' He asked, taking a deep breath.

'Perfect.' I smiled. I leaned towards him and kissed him on the lips before trailing my kisses down to his jaw. I knew he liked that and thought it might calm him. 'Now go. They'll like it if you're slightly early.'

'Okay.' He said before taking one last deep breath and opening the car door.

'Good luck!' I said excitedly. I was confident in him, even if he wasn't.

'Just one more.' He leaned back into the car and made a pouty face. I knew he was asking for one more kiss so I complied and gave him one more. Then I shoved him out the car and blew a kiss from the passenger seat.

I turned the radio on and watched as he walked into the building. Despite the huge glass windows of the building, I lost sight of him as soon as he stepped inside.

I sat in his car, biting my nails and waiting anxiously for him to come back. I had no idea how long he would have been but I kept my fingers crossed for the whole time that he was gone.

I knew Grayson needed this job. It was only part time but the contract he was applying for allowed him to work after school everyday and on weekends. It would pay just enough to cover the price of a place to live and any living costs, like food.

If he did get the job, he would soon have a pretty packed schedule. I tried not to think selfishly but I was going to mean that we wouldn't be able to see each other as much. We both went to different schools and if he was working after school we wouldn't be able to see each other then either. We'd both have evenings free but I just hoped he wouldn't become too exhausted to spend time with me.

But I made myself snap out of it because no matter what happened with me, this was all for him. He needed to get out of that house. It hurt to think about it, but even if this meant that we couldn't be together anymore, I couldn't let him keep getting hurt at home.

After letting my thoughts spiral for I don't know how long, Grayson emerged from the building. I immediately jumped out of the car, eager to hear the results of the interview. But once I was out of the car I saw that he was hanging his head, rubbing the back of his neck. My shoulders dropped along with my hopes. His body language revealed bad news before his mouth did.

When he reached me, I put my hand on his neck, ready to embrace him in a hug.

'I got it.' He said casually. He had a tiny grin on his face now.

'Wait, what?' I asked, very confused.

'I got the job!' He said, louder and more enthusiastic this time.

'You got it?' I squealed louder than him. 'Already?' I jumped up and down, maybe a little over-excited.

'Yes. They offered me the job right there and then.' He said, his grin with wider now.

'I knew you could do it!' I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me into him. He kissed my neck before he pulled away and we both got in the car. I couldn't help but kiss him once we were sitting in the car. But I cut it short because I didn't want Grayson's new employers seeing.

'So when do you start?' I asked eagerly.

'Next week.' He said.

'Wow, they must have really loved you!' I told him.

'I was thinking about you, so that kept me calm.' He placed his hand on my thigh as he started the engine.

We began driving out of the car park, but at the exit Grayson turned the opposite way to my house.

'Where are we going?' I asked, confused.

'I have something to show you.' He said suspiciously.

We drove for about ten minutes before arriving at a caravan park. I was confused as to why we were there, but I didn't ask questions because Grayson was out of the car as soon as we parked.

I followed him into a small building near the entrance that I guessed was the reception office of the park. When we walk inside, an important looking man greeted Grayson and gave me a warm smile. Grayson dropped an envelope on the desk which I didn't even realise he was holding.

'Congratulations nephew.' The man said. He must have been Grayson's uncle. I remembered when Grayson had said he didn't have any family in town and began to get even more confused.

Grayson's uncle walked into a separate room but soon returned with a small key in his hand. He handed it to Grayson and then shook his hand.

'Enjoy.' The man said, before Grayson grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the office.

'What's going on?' I asked, more confused than I was two minutes ago.

'Just trust me.' He said, grinning. But before I could respond he had spun me round and covered my eyes with one hand. With the other, he guided me down a hill and along a path. We walked for what felt like forever until finally he stopped me.

'Are you ready?' He asked, his hand still covering my face.

'I guess.' I said carefully.