eighteen: she's different

Grayson

Today was Saturday.

I had been working pretty much all week. After my dad found out that I wasn't at work after Ben's party, he made me work until closing time everyday. Luckily the car wash closes early on a Saturday because its the weekend.

I hated to admit it, but I was kind of excited for tonight. My mate, Jack, is on my rugby team outside of school and he was having this massive party. He invited loads of people, and everyone got to bring a plus one. Jack was quite rich and his parents didn't really give a fuck so they bought him loads of alcohol for this party. It was kind of stupid to throw a party the day before a big match, so none of the rugby boys were going to be drinking, which included me.

When I got home from work, I headed straight to my room as quietly as possible. I didn't want any bruises on my face from my dad for this party, it would only raise questions. I made it to my room with out any trouble and got dressed. I decided to wear something different today, instead of all black. I chucked on my usual black jeans of course, but I put on a blue hoodie. This was very different for me, and everyone else knew it. I grabbed my black puffer jacket and put on my trainers.

I jumped in the car without looking back at the house. If my dad caught me, he wouldn't let me out. I got in the car and locked it, just in case. As I pulled out the drive I glanced back at the house through the wing mirror. I could see my mum looking out the window, her head was peaking out from in between the closed curtains of my parent's bedroom. 

I drew my eyes away and drove off.

*

Once I made it to Ben's house, the boys were all there already. I stopped on the road outside the house and honked the horn. Ben and a few of the other boys got into my car, and the rest got into Theo's car.

By the time we got to Jack's house, where the party was, it was already dark since it was winter. I preferred the dark to be honest. The light revealed too much.

I could hear the music before I even opened the car door. I could hear people as well, it sounded like a busy party.

We arrived around the same time as the other boys, so we all headed in together. The door was open when we got to the house, so we walked straight in. There were already people dancing in the kitchen. I guess some people had been pre-drinking. 

Jack walked up to us and welcomed us. He led us to the drinks and we each got our own. I got myself a coke because everything else was alcoholic. 

I found myself looking around the room for Billie. The truth was that I couldn't wait to see her, but I wouldn't admit that to anyone.

About fifteen minutes later, after a couple of girls had come up to me to try and flirt and I finished my drink, I saw Maddie walk round the corner. She was in the usual mini dress and heels, but I didn't take much notice of her. Her face lit up as soon as she saw Ben and she ran up to him, hugging him.

Shortly behind her was Billie. She was in a black top and some leopard print trousers with some chunky black trainers. There was something about the way that she dressed that I loved. She looked good. Her outfit complimented her body perfectly. It sounded weird but I just wanted to touch her.

I tried to hide the smile on my face but when my eyes met hers I knew it was too late because she was smiling back at me. I started to walk towards her and met her halfway across the kitchen. As we met, something took over me and I found myself wrapping my arms around her body. Luckily, she hugged me back. She had her arms wrapped around my neck and I never wanted to let go, but I had to.

'Hey.' She said. She tucked her long hair behind her ear. She'd curled it today, and it looked better than ever. She had turned shy, like me.

'Hey.' I grinned down at her. Something was making us both nervous. 'Come get a drink.' I led her over to where my mates were standing.

She poured herself a vodka and coke before turning to me.

'Do you want one?' She asked.

'I'm not drinking, remember?' I said, stepping towards her slightly. She was quite a bit shorter than me so she had to crane her neck to look at me. Girls liked that right? 'I'm driving you home and I've got a match tomorrow.' She grinned up at me.

'Oh yeah, your rugby match!' She said. 'I didn't know you play rugby.' Her eyes subtly looked me up and down, I couldn't help but feel like she was checking me out.

'Yeah, every Sunday.' I said. I was starting to feel nervous. I wasn't acting like myself. I've never chatted to a girl about my hobbies. I've never really chatted to a girl unless is was to get her in bed. This was all new to me and it was kind of scaring me.

'I like what you're wearing.' Billie said as she took a sip of her drink. I enjoyed the compliment, and I was glad she noticed that I'd made a bit of an effort.

'Thanks, thought I'd switch it up a bit.' I pulled my jacket open a bit to show her my hoodie.

'Blue looks good on you.' She said, but after she said it, she immediately looked at the floor as if she was embarrassed of what she had said. I could tell she was quite a shy person, and obviously this was all new to her too.

'Thanks.' I said. I was just smiling at her like a fucking idiot. Then I remembered that I should compliment her back. 'You look good by the way. I love the trousers.' I pointed at her legs, hoping that wasn't weird to say. 

'Thanks, they're new.'  She said, twisting her leg slightly to show off the trousers. When she looked back up at me our faces were so close. I could see the golden flicks in her eyes and I was going to say something about them until I heard Megan's annoying voice interrupt us.

'Hey Grayson.' She shouted over the music. She was standing across the kitchen next to Todd, who was deep in conversation with Jack and Theo. She had her arms crossed and she looked kind of pissed off. I hadn't even seen her come in. 'Who's that?' She asked.

'Um, you mean Billie?' I said, trying to figure out a way to get out of this conversation. I didn't know how to introduce Billie. Was she my friend? Something more? 'She's-'

'She's different.' Megan interrupted. 'Not like the usual girls you chat to at these parties.' She was walking over to where Billie and I were standing now. I clenched my fists, trying to contain my anger.

Billie was looking at me. I wanted to hit Megan for this. She was right. Billie was different. She wasn't like those barbie doll girls I used to chat to. The ones who I could get into bed with the snap of my fingers. She was just different. But in a good way.

'Not now Megan.' I said through clenched teeth. 'Just leave us alone.'

'No, I'm just curious.' Megan continued. 'Why the sudden change of heart? You usually go for blondes. And, well, pretty girls.' She smirked at me. I took a deep breathe ready to start shouting at her. My heart was pounding in rage.

I started to take a step towards her when I felt a soft hand touch my arm. I looked at Billie. She was holding my arm, gently, not enough to stop me from swinging for Megan. But it was enough to make me look into her eyes. She instantly calmed me. When I looked at her, I saw nothing else.

'I'm going to get another drink.' Billie said in a soothing, calm voice. She waved her empty glass in the air and then turned to meet Maddie where the shots were being poured. 

My eyes stayed on her. Megan was talking to me but I shut it out. I was worried that if I looked away from Billie and at Megan, I might lose my shit. So I kept my eyes on her as she took the shots. 

Her eyes met mine every now and then and my heartbeat slowed.