CHAPTER 1 : Breath

It had snowed heavily overnight, the ground was covered in a thick layer of white powder. I stared at it from my bay window. The temperature had dropped considerably over the last three weeks and it had been snowing a lot lately. I sat in only a hoodie and sweatpants. The cold nipped at my cheeks and they colored a soft pink. But I remained as if unfazed by the cold. 

    I traced shapes on the frosted window. I wasn't really paying attention to what the shapes were, I let my fingers trail, as my mind drifted. I'd been drifting a lot lately. Drifting was easier. My mind was seeking out quiet places, where everything was just still. An escape from the perpetual pain raging in my heart. 

     I really didn't want to be here anymore. I hated this world. I hated how empty and painful the real world was now. Drifting was the only way I was keeping myself together. I didn't want to think about anything again. All I wanted to do was sit in my room and stare out the window. I wanted to shut out the world. 

     I didn't want to be a part of it again. That world, the one outside my bedroom door had scorned me, burned me and left me gasping. It had taken away the person I loved most. Pain like that didn't fade, it festered, eating away at everything good or positive inside me until I was a shell with a rotten center. 

      I just wanted him back.  

I'd known him for three months, three months since my return from boarding school. My life surely hadn't turned out how I expected it would. I thought I'd remain at the boarding school until I graduated. I thought my father would send me away to a university abroad. I never expected to come back home, to West Chapel. 

     After I was expelled I thought my world was ending. My best friend hated me. The only person I thought cared about me, hated me. And in all honesty I hated myself. I blamed myself for something that was entirely not my fault. 

     At the beginning of my senior year, I'd come out to my best friend, someone I trusted and thought would accept me. I was wrong about that. He outed me to the entire school and in a fit of rage I attacked him. Up to that point I'd never been in a fight. I was a good student, the kind that followed all the rules. However, my actions were clouded by betrayal. 

      I felt guilty afterwards, because it didn't just lead to my expulsion but Jack's as well. I never wanted that. 

      Coming home had brought back so many memories and emotions. I was reminded of everything I'd left behind. I was reminded of my mother. I missed her tremendously. However coming back home didn't only bring back the past, it also brought on new revelations. 

     Meeting Abigail Thompson was one of the luckiest incidents of my life, even though she had almost killed me during our first encounter. She was a true friend, even though for a moment I doubted it. She was bubbly and caring. She was intelligent but she could be silly at times. She was real and considerate. She was my best friend. 

     She was also Adrian's best friend. Adrian North. Adrian caught my eye from the very first second. His forest green eyes had me mesmerized from the start. I got flustered whenever I was around him. He was artistic and mysterious. He was reserved yet the easiest person to open up to. He could be funny at times and spontaneous when you least expected it. But mostly he was protective. He'd do anything for those he cared about. 

      I loved that about him. I loved everything about him. 

      Being friends with them had been the best thing that had happened to me. I just didn't know it came with a cost. Adrian and Abby weren't normal teenagers and I guess neither was I. Together with Paige, a girl I'd originally thought was my friend, but turns out she wasn't as friendly as she seemed, were my gaurdians. They were witches tasked to protect me and keep me safe.