CHAPTER 17 : Premonition

"What exactly do you need it for?" Scarlet asked, her right brow arched in questioning. I nervously fiddled with the hem of my shirt, knowing full well that if I tried to lie I wouldn't be able to form a single coherent sentence. I was an awful liar.

    "It's actually for me," Abby had no such problem, she lied seamlessly, "my instructor believes we should be prepared to counter any attack, even the ones that could occur from our dreams."

    "Is there a way to guard against dream walkers?" I asked. 

    "Dream walkers haven't existed in a long time, it's a forbidden art. But I should have a book on it," she turned around to the bookshelf behind her. She pulled out a book, from the middle row. It was a large volume, with a old leather cover. She placed it on the desk and flipped through the pages. The words "Cälasíantō vup," were written on the top of the page. I had no idea what language it was, but I had a feeling it read "dream walker." 

     "Dream walking is...complicated. It takes a tremendous amount of power, focus and discipline. It's also forbidden because dream walkers have the ability to manipulate the dreamer dreams, essentially to control the minds of others, in a way. It used to be used to weaken enemies before an attack," she informed us as she schemed through the page. "I could create a talisman, but it won't only protect you from bad dreams, but all dreams together. It'll prevent the wearer from dreaming, they'll still sleep though." 

    "How long will it take to make?" I asked. 

    "An hour or two," she said, "But like I said, dreaming walking hasn't been practiced in centuries, I doubt you'll ever need it." 

    "It never hurts to be prepared for everything," Abby said. Scarlet scanned us, scrutinizing us, when her eyes landed on me I flinched a little. I tried to retain eye contact but my eyes darted under the tense glare. 

    "I guess so," she finally said, shutting the book. "I can have it done for you by tomorrow morning." 

    "Thank you," Abby and I said at the same time. We bid her good night before we left the room. Abby teleported me back to the manner, before she herself left me for the night. It was way past sunset. And if my growling stomach was an indication, it was about time for dinner. 

     I walked out my door and headed for the stairs only to stop in my tracks when I head a voice speak. I immediately recognized it as Michael's. There were no replies to his statements so I assumed he was on the phone. 

     "I know...I'm keeping a close eye on him...Yes, I understand. If anything happens, I'll inform you." He spoke as I crept closer to were the voice was coming from. I stopped before the corner, peeking a little to see him standing in the middle of the corridor, his back towards me. "For now he's safe... The restrains will keep him in this realm... You know we can't get them off him without the council knowing about it... I promise, I won't let him out of my sight." 

     I swallowed my breath listening to him. Was he talking about me? It sounded so. He was talking about me to someone who was concerned about the restraints on my wrists. I looked down at them. They were nearly invisible but I could always feel them, as they stood as a dam wall between my magic and I. Where these things keeping me from leaving this realm?

    Why was that a concern to Michael and whoever he was talking to? Wasn't my staying in this realm what everyone wanted. And what was this about taking them off? Of course I wanted them off. I hated these damn things. But if they were the only things keeping me from being kidnapped, they could stay on. 

    Was Michael the spy, the one working for Ashon? It couldn't be. He was my guardian, he was supposed to be looking out for me, not betraying me. There had to be an explanation. I just couldn't believe it.