CHAPTER 18 : Undone

Books had always been my refuge, my escape. No matter what was happening in my life, one thing was for sure, for a few moments I could distract myself using books. I could venture into another's world, get wrapped up in their struggles and forget my own. Even though it was just for a moment, I appreciated the break. 

   However, today I wasn't entering the library to seek refuge, no, I was searching for answers. I figured with the magnitude of this library, there had to be something in here that could help me find the spy. A spell book or something. 

   I wondered through the library for a while before I found something close to what I was looking for. Down a section filled with books in languages I couldn't understand or ones I hadn't even realized were real, I found what I was looking for. A grimoire.  

   It weighed at least five pounds, it was bound with a discolored leather cover. A pentacle was drawn on the first page. It was the only book I'd found in English, so hopefully it had what I was looking for. I flipped through the pages, passing some interesting spells, like one that could help you shape shift into he form of another. I moved past it, it wasn't what I wanted. 

    "Looking eye," was written on top of the page of a spell that seemed to have potential for what I wanted. It was an observation spell, that could be used to look into the past, see things that one hadn't experienced. As if security cameras where set up all over the universe, watching everything, the spell just simply retrieved the memory card. 

    I wondered if there was a way to tweak the spell just a little bit. To be able to watch the footage in real time. Or even make it that I could see what hadn't happened yet. If I somehow managed that, I could know what Ashon was up to before he even implemented it. I could be ahead of him.

   But how did I go about changing a spell. I'd need help on this. Someone who knew a lot about magic. One person came to mind. I had to show her the spell, maybe she could help. Scarlet was my best hope. 

    And though it went against my very nature, I tore the page out of the book. I folded it up before I heard footsteps heading my way. I shut the grimoire, tucking it under the arm chair I was sitting on before jumping to my feet. 

    "Marcus?" Davin said as he turned the corner and came up in front of me. I immediately hid the piece of folded paper behind my back. He looked at me with a raised brow and a suspicious glance. 

    "Yeah?" I said, clearing my throat. 

   "Are you ready for your lesson?" Davin asked. 

   "Yeah," I said swallowing the lump in my throat. I tried my best to seem calm, but keeping secrets had never been a skill of mine. However, Davin seemed to let his suspicion slide. "Let's go." I said as I walked to him, he grabbed hold of my forearm, teleporting us to the council's HQ. 

   "I'll be back when the lesson is over," he informed me before he vanished. 

   I tucked the spell into the pocket of my jacket before making the turn into the next hallway. After months of navigating through this place I could finally move through it without getting lost. 

   However, I came to a halt when my eyes landed on Jack. He stood in front of the door to the training room as if he was waiting for someone. I really hoped that someone wasn't me. I took a wary step back before turning fully away from him. I started toward the way I'd come from. 

  "Marcus," he called out and I stopped in my tracks, cussing under my breath. 

   I slowly turned around, but I immediately regretted the action as soon as my eyes landed on his face. His blue eyes met my grey ones and I swallowed hard. He looked the same. His dirty blonde hair was a little longer now, it almost touched his shoulders, but other than that, nothing had changed. He still had the same freckles dusted over his cheeks. The same small white scar on his left cheek he got when he was seven. The same tanned skin. He was still Jack.