CHAPTER 11 : Carry On

Someone walked straight into me and I stumbled back, only to bump into someone else, they shoved me, pushing me right in front of someone else, someone who almost tripped me over. This game of tousle the young witch went on for a second longer before I was yanked into an alley, pulling me away from the busy street. 

      This wasn't where I had intended to go. This didn't even look like where I had intended to go. I looked around the alley, there was a dumpster in front of me, and a strange sound coming from it, I didn't wish to investigate. The ally was littered and it stunk like year old rotten yogurt. This couldn't be Alon. I turned my head to my left to meet the eyes of the person who'd saved me. My eyes landed on Malek. They landed on his pale blue eyes. Pale blue eyes? I thought...

      "What's going on? Where am I?" I asked taking a step away from him. I had no idea what it was about him, but his presence sent chills down my spine, made the hair at the back of my neck stand. He had an eerie aura to him that made me swallow nervously, even though he claimed to be on my side. 

      "The big apple, New York City," he said answering my question. But his reply made no sense. How was I in New York? I had intended to return to Alon, this sure wasn't Alon. 

     "How?" I asked but instead of answering my question, he turned away, heading further into the alley. I huffed in frustration before following him. Part of me told me to run, was it a really good idea to be following him?

     "Malek, how am I here?" I asked again when I caught up to him. 

     "There's a really good Italian place the next block over," he said, completely ignoring my question, "but I had Italian last night, maybe Chinese or Mexican?" He seemed to be directing his questions to me but I had no input. Why was he talking about food right now? What was going on? I was confused and he was definitely not helping. 

      "Malek!" I yelled, succeeding in gaining his attention, "How did I get here?" I asked, pronouncing each word slowly so he'd hear me clearly. 

      He sighed as if answering me was an inconvenience. "I spelled you, so the next time you tried to teleport it'd bring you to where I was," he said nonchalantly. I froze in place. Had I just heard him right?

     "Why?" I asked as my stomach coiled up in knots. Maybe my instincts not to trust him where right. They were definitely yelling at me right now.

     "We need to talk," he said urgently. "Oh, there's a great Thai food restaurant, it's right around the corner," he said, as he started walking again. We stepped out into the street. There were a ton of people moving up and down the street. I didn't want a repeat of what happened earlier so I stuck close to Malek. He seemed to navigate through the horde seamlessly, I wondered if he was a resident in the city. 

      "You like Thai food right?" He asked. I nodded deciding to just go along with whatever it was that was going on. 

      We walked into the restaurant and instantly I was hit with the exotic aroma of the foreign food. I had never tried Thai food but walking towards our table I was excited to try it. We took our seats, Malek sitting across from me. When the waitress came, he ordered for the both of us. The food was at our table ten minutes later. In those ten minutes I'd been listening to him rant on about just the most random things.

      He dove right into his food, taking a fork full of it and moaned in enjoyment. I took a wary bit of my food and finding it delicious. I loved the sour-spicy-hot taste of my tom yum goong. I'd never been one for spicy foods but this soup had me sold. The prawns as well as the straw mushrooms had my tastebuds craving more.