CHAPTER 21 : Turns You Into Stone

"Paige," I said, she looked up at me from her phone. A scowl immediately formed onto her face, it had me swallowing nervously. "Can I talk to you?" I asked, my grey eyes meeting her brown ones for a brief second.

    "I rather you not," she said, straightening up, pushing herself from the wall she was leaning on. 

   "It's important," I said as I walked after her. 

   "And I care, why?" She said, sounding rather disinterested. I sighed, realizing this wasn't going to be easy. 

   "I overheard you talking to Jasper," I blurted, she stopped abruptly and I almost bumped into her. I dug my heels into the floor, stopping an inch behind her, then I took a step away from her as she turned. She pinned me with an ice cold glare.  

   "Are you spying on me?" She asked, her voice terrifyingly even. 

   "Yes, I mean no..." I took another nervous step away from her. I swallowed again as I willed my voice to stop trembling. Man, she could be scary when she really wanted to. What happened to that friendly girl I'd met on my first day at West Chapel high?

   "Yes I was, but I didn't mean to," I explained. "Paige we seriously have to talk." 

   I'd been up all night, tossing and turning as I contemplated my next move. I needed to do something, but what? I'd decided on confronting Paige. I needed to explain to her that I wasn't a threat. She needed to understand that I wasn't the one she had to worry about. 

   "You have five minutes," she told me tucking her phone into the back pocket of her skinny jeans. 

   I cleared my throat then asked, "Why do you hate me?"

   "Haven't we already had this conversation?" She raised her brow. 

  "You never answered my question," I pointed out. She folded her arms over her chest.

   "Maybe it's because I don't want to answer it," she deadpanned. 

   "Okay," I huffed. I pulled her into the nearest room. Lucky for us it was empty. "Whatever you think I did or I didn't do I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway but Paige is whatever you think I did worth conspiring against me. I know you're working with Jasper. I heard you, you want me gone. I don't understand why. I'm not dangerous. Paige, you have to know that. 

    "We were friends, or at least I thought we were, you were faking it but in that time did I do anything remotely malicious? Did I hurt anyone? Can you honestly tell me that you think I'm evil?" I knitted my brows as I maintained eye contact.

     "It doesn't matter if I think you're good or bad, you Marcus Nelson are dangerous," she took a step towards me jabbing her index finger into my chest, "Your very existence is dangerous. Anybody close to you will die. It's just who you are."

    "I didn't choose this," I pointed out, a frown forming onto my face. 

    "Yeah, I get it you're the victim. Poor Marcus, the boy with demon blood, the one everyone has to protect. The one everyone is going to die for," she said spitefully. 

    "Paige—" I said but she cut me off. 

   "You don't even remember him, do you?" She accused. 

   "Remember who?" I asked with furrowed brows. Her hands clenched into fists as she took a step towards me. Her nostrils flared as the skin between her eyes crinkled. 

    "My brother! He died trying to save you." I shook my head. What was she talking about? What brother? "He died protecting you because that what happens to people who try protecting you. They die. You killed my brother, your own mother and even Adrian. The rest of the realm will follow. You're death." She was seething now, as my voice was lost to me as my eyes teared up.