CHAPTER 19 : Midnight Oil

"Do you think we can do it?" I asked her. She stared down at the spell for a moment, reading it again. When she finally looked up at me her expression was grim. 

    "I don't know Mark, maybe Scar was right," she said much to my dismay. 

    "But imagine if it works, we could be a step ahead of him for once. We could probably finally put a stop to his plans. This could be the only way," I told her.

    "But it could also be extremely dangerous," She warned. "Marcus, you have no idea what it's like when a spell backfires. You could seriously hurt yourself, or worse." 

    "It will work," I assured her. 

   "How can you be sure?" She asked, her brows furrowed in doubt. 

   "Because I need it to," I admitted to her. She rose to her feet, coming to stand in front of me. She wrapped her fingers around my own, sighing sympathetically. 

    "It's far too risky," she said. "We'll find another way." 

    "What if there is none?" I ripped my hand away from hers, moving further from her. I plopped onto the bed. "What if he keeps terrorizing me? What if I never go home, and I'm stuck here forever?" I told her, dropping my head into my hands. 

    "I miss being home. I miss going to school, even doing homework. I miss how mundane and simple things were. I won't get any of that back as long as he's after me. I just want him to be gone." Tears slid down my cheeks, "I want this to be over so bad." 

     "We'll find a way." Abby sat next to me, draping her arm over my shoulder and pulling me onto her shoulder, were I continued to sob. "I promise. But you need to swear not to use this spell." 

      I look up at her with moist eyes. "I promise," I mumbled. 

      "Good," she praised, I rose my head from her shoulder as I straightened up and wiped away the tears. "Maybe we can go into the library and look for another spell." She suggested. I simply nodded as we rose to our feet and headed downstairs. 

     Unfortunately finding a spell that was remotely helpful was easier said than done. We scoured the entire library only to end up entirely empty handed. Every book we went through—the ones we could understand—had nothing useful. 

     "I'm sorry Mark, but I have to get going," Abby said, checking the time on her phone, "I have training with Paige and Jack." 

     "Oh, okay," I said, raising to my feet. I shut the grimoire I'd been scheming through. I piled the books together, with the intent of returning them to their rightful shelves. 

     "So how are things going with Jack?" I asked.

    "Okay, I guess. He's pretty good, but it's a little weird, you know," she said twirling her blonde hair between her fingers. "It's just so different." I hauled half of the pile of books into my arms, she picked up the rest. 

     "I feel bad doing this without Adrian. It was our dream to be guardians. We were supposed to do this together," she said, helping me bring the books back to the magic section of the library. 

     "I know what you mean," I slipped the first book back into it's slot, "but you can't give up on your dream if this is still something that's important to you. You still want this, right?" 

     "It's all I ever wanted. My dad is guardian. He's always been my hero. He's job is saving people. Growing up I wanted to be exactly like him. I wanted to save lives, be someone people look up to but... I don't know, yeah I still want that. I want to live up to my father's legacy. But I don't know if I can still do it.