CHAPTER 12 : Sirens

I was terrified, as I stared out at the large imposing building. I turned away from it dropping my eyes to my lap. I clung to the silver chain with a poppy pendant, a necklace that had once belonged to my mother. It was all I had left of her. It was all I had. I really didn't want to stay here. I wished that Harrod would turn the car around and take me back home. 

     I wanted to go home. 

     "Master Marcus, it's time to get out," Harrod said, right before he swung open his door. We'd been parked in front of Asbury Academy for a ten minutes as I refused to leave the car. 

      Harrod came to my door and he opened it for me. "I know you're scared, but this will be good for you. You'll be surrounded by children your age," he said, trying and failing to convince this was a good ide. 

     "I wanna go home," I mumbled as tears welled up in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. 

     "I'm very sorry master Marcus." He crouched down, until he was eye level with me, "You have to stay here."

      "Why?" I asked, pouting as a tear escaped, it slowly slid down my cheek. "Why must I stay here? Why can't I go back home?" 

       He sighed heavily, before he rose to his feet. He looked at me with sympathy. He felt sorry for me. He didn't want to leave me here. But he was. He was leaving me at this school, with people I didn't even know. He was abandoning me, because that's what my father wanted. 

       My father wanted me gone. 

      "You have to stay here, it's for your own good," he said. I reached up, wiping away the stray tear. I slid out of the car. Stepping onto the gravel, I listened to it crunch beneath my feet as I followed Harrod. 

       I didn't think it was for my own good. There was nothing good about this. How could this be anything other than what it was? This was cruel. My family was tossing me aside. Sending me far and soon they'd forget me. 

      I sat on a chair right outside the headmistress' office. Harrod was in with her discussing my enrollment. I kept my head down, staring at nothing but the tiled floors. I wasn't really looking at them, my eyes, yes, were fixed on them but my mind was a million miles away, holding onto happier moments. 

      I remembered how my mother would lie beside me on my bed and we'd imagine all the things we were going to do when I finally got better. She said she'd want us to go dancing, I'd laughed and told her I didn't think I'd be good at it. She'd chuckled along with me, and told me that it didn't matter, it didn't matter if I was good at it or not as long as I had fun. She had told me that having fun was the point of doing anything. 

     I didn't think this place was going to be fun. It didn't look fun. It seemed quite dreadful. 

      I looked up, two boys were running down the hall, heading my way. One chasing the other. The first one was probably my age, he had sandy blonde hair, brown eyes and the other was definitely older, maybe at thirteen. He was taller, his hair dark and his eyes an intimidating icy blue. The older boy easily caught up with the younger one, slamming him into the wall in front of me. 

     "Give it to me," the older boy demanded. The younger one pulled out what looked like some sort of game. He slumped to the ground as soon as the older boy released him. 

       Suddenly the older boy's eyes landed on me, "What are you looking at weirdo?" He asked and immediately I dropped my gaze. However it was too late, I'd already gained his attention. This gave the younger boy the opportunity to escape his oppressor.