CHAPTER 5 : Fire In My Bones

I opened my eyes to a blinding white light flashing in front of me. I felt disoriented and groggy. My temples pounded a bit as I tried to focus my vision. The light was too bright, I immediately shut my eyes as I groaned.  

    "Marcus, are you okay?" Came a voice from beside me, the sound was muffled and somehow distant. But I was sure this person was beside me. Their hand was tangled up with mine as they smoothly stroked my knuckles with their thumb. 

    "Mark, can you hear me?" Came the voice again this time more clear. It sounded so familiar. I opened my eyes again trying to look past the light. I could only make out a blurry figure.

     "Where am I?" I spoke, my voice was raspy and weak. I tried to sit up, once realizing that I was on my back. I didn't go well. My hands were restrained to the bed. "What's going on?" I asked, sounding panicked this time.

     "You're home," the voice—Abby's voice—came again. The light that was flashing in front of me was removed, I blinked twice before my vision came into focus. 

     "He needs to rest," came another voice, a deeper one. Standing to my left was a man whose very appearance sent a panicked chill down my spine. 

    He was tall, much taller than me. Though his figure was hidden behind his suit and lab coat, I could tell rippling muscles laid beneath the fabric. He had dark sleeked black hair.

    There was something beyond the way he looked, it was just a feeling I got from his very presence, that made me afraid.

      "What's going on?" I asked again, this time more hysterical. I jerked my arms, trying to get the restrains to budge, but I only managed to bruise my wrists. "Why are my hands tied up?" 

      "I assure you it's for your own safety," the man spoke again, I shrunk under his intense gaze. His eyes were dark, an ebony hue that made my sink crawl. 

     "You tried to hurt yourself," Abby explained, stroking my arm as if to calm me down. It didn't work. Hurt myself? I would never. I mean I'd thought about it but I wouldn't do that. The look in her eyes made it look I tried to do something a little more than hurt myself. It was a tragic sort of sadness. I hated the look on her face. 

     "I didn't!" I said, my voice was shaky, "I wouldn't..." Would I?

     "They said they're going to have to take you somewhere. They're going to get you the help you need," she said, getting up from the bed, as two men came into the room. They were dressed in white scrubs. 

     "Stop! Let me go," I yelled when the two goons raised me from the bed. I struggled, kicking and squirming. I begged to Abby to help me, but she just stared at me with an expression so sad it made my stomach twist. 

     "We're going to have to sedate him," the man spoke, coming to stand in front of me. 

     "This is for your own good," He said, his eyes meeting mine and I glared defiantly, before he injected me with the sedative. There was a sadistic smirk on his face as if he enjoyed watching me suffer. Of course he did, he always did. 

     "Good night, little bird." My body suddenly felt heavier, my eyes failed to stay open. I tried to fight it but I couldn't, I felt as if I was swimming in pudding. He stared at me and I could have have sworn that his eyes turned completely black, the entire scleral engulfed in darkness, right before I slipped away into unconsciousness. 

     When I woke I wasn't in my room. No, instead I was in a room with stark white walls. It was barely furnished. All that was in the room was the bed I was on. The floor was done in white tiles. I rose from the bed, going straight for the door, of course it was locked. I slumped against it as I hung my head in my hands.