CHAPTER 13 : Be A Witness

I felt something different waking up that morning. As if a catacomb of fear was residing within me. It was one thing having these nightmares and telling myself there were nothing but bad dreams but having them knowing that this beast was real...? It was something else. Something that left me paralyzed for a good ten minutes of me opening my eyes. 

     My whole body felt cold and stiff. On the outside, my world was silent. The morning light, gracefully entered my room through the drawn drapes. Outside, the snow gently fell, a waltz performed by a million dancer. An interpretation of chaos yet done so elegantly. Tears silently slid down my temples and onto my pillow, as my agony went unwitnessed. 

     Internally? I was screaming. I was yelling for help. My heart beat louder by the second. And I cried out for mercy, my only audience my mind. I was trapped. It was ten minutes but it felt beyond an eternity. The distance between me and the outside felt like light years away. And I was traveling it in a beat down car, that broke down every five miles. 

     I wanted it to be over, I fought for it to end. However victory only came when I gave into the abyss. My toes wiggled, my fingers flinched and soon I could even raise my arms. I stumbled onto my feet, holding onto one of the posts of the bed, to prevent myself from toppling over. 

    In nothing but my pajamas and bare feet I made my way to the bathroom. I fell to my knees before the toilet, as I retched the contains of yesterday's meal. My throat burned as I hauled out the entirety of my stomach. I was shaking as I slumped back onto the floor. My body felt numb after. 

     I felt pathetic, I hated myself for being so weak, so terrified. But I couldn't help the fear. It was all I had ever known. It was deeply built into me. I wanted to shed it away but it felt like it was permanently attached to me. 

    However, attached to me or not I wasn't going to submit to it. I wasn't going to let Ashon's threats dictate my state of mind. Not anymore. I rose from the floor, my legs slightly wobbly as I approached the sink. I let the water run, splashed it onto my face as I looked up at my reflection in the mirror.  

    I didn't look particularly well, my eyes were sunken and bruised from lack of sleep, my skin was paler than what was considered natural and my hair was drier than it should have been. Turning off the faucet, I turned away, heading for the shower. I let the air billow with steam before I stripped out of my pajamas and then jumped into the shower. 

     The water splashed over my body, strengthening my body. A resolve settled in my mind. I was going to fight back. If I was ever going to survive this, I couldn't be weak. I had to be stronger. 

     After returning to my room and getting dressed I headed downstairs. I wore a pair of black sweatpants, a red t-shirt and a blue and white hoodie over that. I dressed comfortably. 

      In the kitchen, I found Davin, Kai and Michael standing around the island. They seemed to be discussing something but they quietened down the moment I stepped into the room. The room seemed rather tense with my presence. I assumed they were still mad for my running away. I couldn't blame them.

     "Morning," I said, as I hopped onto one of the stools. 

     "Morning, Marcus," Kai said, spotting me a smile. "Would you like some food?" 

     "Yeah, I'm starving." I said. She placed a plate in front of me. I took a fork full of the scrambled eggs. 

     The room descended into silence, again. It was quite odd. Something was off, I knew it. I looked up from my plate locking eyes with Kai.