CHAPTER 10 : Waterproof

I stood by the front door, showered and dressed. I was in a pair of black jeans, a navy blue t-shirt and a grey hoodie. Lexi came skipping from the other room, a smile adorning her face. Her hair was tied in cute piggy tails and she wore a lovely yellow dress with a green jacket. Ruddy followed behind her, wagging his tail cheerfully.

     "Are we all ready to go?" Zoey was the last one out. She had changed from her sweat pants and baggy t-shirt. Now she wore a pair of blue jeans and a nice peach blouse and a jacket.

      "Yes," Lexi said enthusiastically, I simply nodded and Ruddy barked.

      We walked out of the house together. The moment we stepped outside I was instantly hit with the overwhelming sense that I was being watched. I scanned the area nervously. There was no one there, no one suspicious at least. In the yard across from their house was a woman tending to her front garden. A man was jogging down the street and three kids around the age of ten were playing in the yard next door. Nothing suspicious in the least bit. Everything seemed rather mundane.

      I was probably being paranoid. I shook the fear out of my head. I didn't have to worry. At least that was what I was telling myself. Deep inside I knew what I was doing was reckless.

      Every single one of Unknown's warnings had panned out. They had come to realization. Ignoring him now was rather foolish, wasn't it? But I couldn't go back. This was more than just fearing that I was a danger to everyone else.

     I honestly was just tired of everything. I was looking for a break. I wanted to be surrounded by normal and for once I finally was.

     The park was only two blocks away, as Zoey had said. We walked there. It was such a lovely day. The sun was shining, the air was fresh, we passed so many friendly people who smiled and greeted us. This was so different from Alon, where people were so wrapped up in their own lives to even return a friendly smile.

      Once at the park, Lexi broke away with Ruddy. They began a very excitable game of fetch. Lexi was a ball of energy, she ran around, giggling as she played with the golden retriever. Zoey and I opted to settle on a bench to just enjoy the day. We kept close to where Lexi was playing so we could keep an eye on her.

       "She's adorable," I commented as Lexi threw a red rubber ball for Ruddy to retrieve.

       "Yeah she is," she said with a rather prideful smile on her face.

       I took a deep breath, breathing for what felt like the first time in two months. There was something so calming about this moment. I liked it. I was so far away from everything, and I felt strangely free.

       I closed my eyes savoring the moment. It wasn't often that I experienced quite. And just like any good thing in my life the moment was fleeting. Suddenly my stomach filled up with dread. An unpleasantly thrilling chill went down my spine. The feeling that I was being watched overtook me again. I frantically looked around me but like the first time, there was nothing suspicious. I huffed in frustration as I slumped into the bench.

      "Marcus," Zoey spoke, reminding me of her presence. My cheeks tinted red, I must have looked like a mad person. I looked up to face her. Concern weighed on her face. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you okay?"

       I blinked before answering, "I'm fine," I lied.

       "Are you sure? If you're in any danger, we can help you," she said. It was very nice of her to be worried but I really didn't feel like talking about any of it.

      "Yes, I'm okay," I reassured her. She pinched her lips together as she squinted her eyes, obviously not buying anything I was saying. She looked at me for a moment, observing me, just as aunt Jess had done last night. But unlike her she didn't drop the subject.