CHAPTER 4 : To Be Alone With You

I woke up drained, of everything, form energy to motivation. I didn't have the strength to get out of bed, so I didn't. For three days I stayed put in my room. Davin tried to convince me to come down to eat but I just wasn't up for it, I wasn't up for anything. After the first day he gave up. Instead he brought the food to me, I didn't eat any of it though. 

     He seemed worried, and so did Kai. She came to my door now and then to check up on me but I stayed silent. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. I didn't even have the strength to speak. 

    I would have felt bad for being such burden but at the moment I had room for it. I was overcome by an unwavering sense of emptiness. It was as if the part of my mind that was in charge of emotions had shut down and left me without color.  The numbness was somehow worse than the pain. It was worse than anything I'd felt before. 

     It was like being trapped in a black hole. A vacuum where light knew no entry. It was like someone had plucked all sense of feeling straight from my heart. I felt hollow and that hollowness scared me greatly. 

     I spent most of the three days sleeping. I had never in my life time slept so much. After three weeks of not sleeping well my body had just crushed. It decided that it'd take an extended break against my will.

    My body was weary and sore when I finally rose. I was still in my pajamas—I had been in my pajamas for three days—as I crept out of my room. I headed straight for the stairs. I walked slowly as my body sagged. I headed for the kitchen. The house was quite but I expected so, Davin had come up to the room earlier to inform me that he and Michael were going out. Kai was still in the house, probably in her room.

     I got a water glass filling it with water. My mouth was expectedly dry, and the water going down my throat was a massive relief. 

     I drunk three glasses of water, in less than a minute, I hadn't even realized how thirsty I was.  It was around when I had gulped down half of the fourth cup, that I was startled by footsteps coming towards the kitchen. In my panic the glass slipped out of my hand. It hit the floor and shattered instantly. Without thinking I reached down to pick up the pieces and accidentally cut my hand. I winced, standing upright. Blood dripped down my fingers and I froze for a second.

     "Marcus? Are you okay? I heard—" Kai asked, as she came into the room. She stopped mid sentence when her eyes landed on my bleeding hand. They widened, just before she rushed to my side with a dish towel. She wrapped it around my hand. "What happened?" She asked, concern weighing her words.

      I blinked twice, before my gaze rose to her panicked one, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." I looked down at the fragments of glass on the floor then at my hand. I winced seeing the amount of blood being soaked up by the towel. "It was an accident," I explained to Kai, feeling guilty for the mess I'd caused.

      "It's okay. I'll clean it up later," she said leading me to the sink. 

       "I can do it," I said, she really didn't have to. It was my mess to clean. 

       "No, it's okay." She turned on the faucet. Removing the towel, she stuck my hand under the running water. I winced again, and Kai apologized. "Stay here whilst I get the first aid kit," she ordered and I nodded. 

         My hand throbbed painfully and in all honesty it wasn't that bad. The pain was terrible, of course, but for the first time in the last three days, I was feeling something. It was pain but the numbness receded for a moment and I wasn't feeling hollow anymore. I preferred the pain to the emptiness.