CHAPTER 6 : Onward & Upward

It happened so fast, I couldn't block the attack. She landed a punch in the blink of an eye. I groaned as I stumbled back, but I managed to stop myself from toppling over. I regained my footing and went back into a defensive stance. 

     "You need to be quicker," Kai said, shifting from leg to leg with a bit of a bounce.

     She swung her leg in a low kick, I dropped my hands to protect my lower body, which was a mistake I realized too late when she delivered a higher strike. This time I did topple over. I landed on the ground with a painful thwack.

       "Get up," she commanded. Maybe this was a mistake. At this rate Kai was going to kill me, she really knew how to pack a punch, the bruises forming on my body proved it. I stumbled to my feet just as she wanted. A little more warily I reformed my stance.

      "You need to be able to predict your opponent's next move," she advised.

        I tried to fight back, maybe I could counter this attack but Kai was fast, supernaturally so. How was I supposed to even land a punch when I was going against a werewolf. She was skilled, fast and strong. I was weak. But I didn't want to be. So no matter how much this sucked, I wasn't giving up. 

       "You need to be smarter, doesn't matter the size of your opponent, as long as you're smarter you can take down anymore," she explained, I nodded and thought of my next move. But before I could think of anything, she circled her hand around my arm almost serpent like, leaving my torso open for another attack. She immediately took the chance and executed the attack. It left me hunched down on the ground. It didn't take long before she had me pinned.

       "Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy on me," I grumbled, she chuckled, getting off me and onto her feet. 

       "This is me taking it easy," she argued, as she used her right arm to help me to my feet. "Don't worry, this is only your first time sparring, you'll get better."

       "I'm terrible at this," I huffed in frustration. 

       "You're just inexperienced," she said heading over to the bench. She settled on the bench reaching for her water bottle which was on the ground beside the bench. "Seriously, you're doing better than me on my first day." I highly doubted that, but I took it. I settled next to her, grabbing my own bottle of water. I gulped down half of it. 

      I headed back to the room after Kai had me take another thirty minutes on the treadmill. I was sweaty and exhausted. I plopped straight onto the bed as soon as I had the door locked. Working out was definitely harder than I had expected. 

      As my body sagged into the mattress my phone which was on the bedside table began to ring. I picked it up, checking the caller ID. It was Abby, I picked up immediately.

     "Hello," Abby said.

      "Hello," I said back to her. 

      "Are you doing anything today?" She asked.

      "No, what's up?"

      "Uh, I was thinking we could have lunch, I know this really cute restaurant in town. It could give you a chance to really see Alon," she said. 

      "Um, uh—sure." 

      "I'll be there in thirty minutes," she informed me right before she hung up. 

       I forced myself off the bed, my whole body was sore. I gathered up my clothes before heading for the bathroom. I took a shower, washing off all the sweat, before dressing. I wore dark jeans, a violet sweatshirt and a navy blue hoodie.