2. Information

Without anything in the house for breakfast I was up and ready in fifteen minutes. I quickly had a cold shower and fastened my hair up into a messy up-do, picking up my knapsack and slipping out the rickety front door before Dad woke up. Clouds graced the sky, threatening to break and release their cargo. They cast down a grey light that even the shadows shrunk away from. I passed through lower Mullion, what I call the poor quarter towards the centre of the small town. Slowly bungalows with the dead grass changed, into cosy looking cottages with pretty flower boxes and smoking chimneys. My town did have some charms. I picked my way through the tiny cobbled streets and up into the town centre.

The small square saw the vendors setting up their stalls. Fishermen were selling off their early morning catch, still in their overalls.
Gulls circled overhead, waiting for the vendors to lose their guard so they could swoop down and snatch the scraps.

I stepped across the cobblestones and welcomed the sight of the historic building in which I worked. It was built in the late 1800s. The heavy wooden doors stood proud in the stone archway. I fetched the large key from my knapsack, unlocking it with some effort. It took the full force of my body to get the thick barrier to open. Inside, the double tiered library was filled brim to brim with books on antique wooden shelves. Small stool ladders lay around for those books higher up. As well as some desks for study time, and a small area of sofas for relaxed reading.
I switched on the main lights, which cast a warm glow into the space. There was something undeniably alluring about being surrounded by so much knowledge. When everything was in place I approached the science section and pulled out a dusty old book on local marine life. Taking my place behind the desk I settled in my chair.

The library didn't usually get busy till mid-afternoon. Even then it would just be students from the university. It was unlikely any of them would ask me for any help, as I always made sure everything was in its correct place and well labelled. I flicked to the page on whale sharks. Interested to learn more about my friends.
They could live to be one hundred and fifty years old, and they have around twenty seven thousand tiny teeth set into three hundred rows. Though they aren't much use in feeding, whale sharks are filter feeders.
I flicked through the pages attentively, enthralled by the information.

Suddenly someone cleared their throat right in front of me. I jumped out of my skin in surprise. I hadn't even heard them come in.
Quickly composing myself, I tried avoided the most likely angry gaze of the customer. People in this town didn't like to wait.

"Sorry. I didn't hear you come in. Can I help you find something?" I risked a glance up into the icy blue eyes of a complete stranger, "Oh sorry sir," I fumbled, "Only residents are allowed to take out books. Boss's rules I'm afraid. Things kept going missing. Though, I can direct you to a book shop. Unfortunately the contents are rather limited. You are however allowed to read any book inside the library if you have the time."
The man regarded me calmly, "I am a resident. Just moved here yesterday from Ireland. Unless boat houses don't count." I tried to hide my surprise. Why would someone willingly move to a place like this? His accent certainly wasn't Irish.
I put on my 'I'm a professional' voice, "No that's fine. Please fill out this form and then you can take out books to your hearts content. Or if there's something you need that we don't have, I'll order it in online." I searched deep in the drawers of the desk for the library card forms. It had been a very long time since someone had needed to fill one out. I found them on yellowing paper at the bottom of the drawer. I pulled a sheet out gently, worrying their age might make them crumble to dust in my hands, and slid it in front of the man.

He picked up the pen from the desk and began scribbling down his details.
While I waited I flicked back to my book and continued where I left off.
"Wow, everything here is antique huh? Even the paper. My name is Kai, by the way." He added as he returned the form.
I glanced over the details to make sure they were legit. Then I slid over a library card and activated it on the system, I kept it passive and professional, "Welcome to Mullion, Kai. Now what can I help you find?"