4. Homebound

When they finally left it wasn't soon enough. The second the door clicked shut, both me and Kai burst into laughter, "That was the most awkward conversation I've ever had!" He said through tears.
I stood up and replicated the pose, "Why, what do you mean?"
We burst out in fresh laughter. When we finally managed to get a hold of ourselves I sat back into my seat gasping for breath. I hadn't laughed like that in a long time, it felt good.

Kai got up and put all his books back. I couldn't help but noticed he placed them correctly in alphabetical order. Then he cleaned up after the group who had left their magazines on the table with chewing gum papers. I didn't have to look to know they had courteously stuck them under the desk.

"You're not trying to take my job are you?" I joked as he put the wrappers in the bin.
Kai smiled sheepishly, "Damn. You got me. I've been working behind your back this whole time."
Without thinking I playfully punched him in the arm.
"Ow. Aggressive much?" He laughed in shock.

I grabbed the scraper out of my desk and began to untack the gum from under the desks, "Disgusting." I moaned as it came off stringy. It took me half an hour to scrape all of it, "How many did they want to chew. Jesus."
Kai sat by as I finished my task.
"You know you can go. You don't have to wait around. Anyway the library is technically closed now."
Kai drummed his fingers on the desk with a lifted lip, "Well you didn't kick me out. Anyway, I'm walking you home."
I paused what I was doing, "Um, no you aren't."
Kai was unwavering, "Nothing you can say is going to stop me. As you said, we're not friends. So I don't have to worry about making you happy."
I put the stringy remains in the bin. And washed my hands with the antibacterial gel I kept in the desk. Scraping gum had become a weekly affair.
"Kai, thanks for worrying. But I'm not sure it's a good idea. Honestly, I'll be fine."
Kai frowned at me, "As ok as you were yesterday? And what had you done to deserve that? I bet if I lifted up your shirt you would be black and blue."
No I wouldn't. I thought to myself wryly.
"I'm walking you home and that's final." He stated.
I rolled my eyes at him, "Alright mother. Keep your knickers on."
He smiled that roguish grin. I grabbed my knapsack and switched all the lights off.
We walked through the dark square side by side. I worried what I would find when I got home. Would he hurt Kai? I looked up at him from under my eyelashes. He was becoming a danger to me.
Kai seemed to sense my thoughts, "It's going to be alright. I won't let anything happen." Somehow that actually comforted me. We walked in silence all the way to my street. It surprisingly wasn't an awkward silence. When we finally approached my house, the lights were on. I knew dad was waiting for me inside the belly of the beast.
I looked up at Kai, trying to keep it cool, "Well, this is me."
He pursed his lips slightly, "I know you're not going to like this. But I want you to introduce me."
I listened with wide eyes, "Do you want to die today?"
Kai raised an eyebrow, "When my friends dropped me home it often diffused awaited anger. If you don't introduce me, I'm going to introduce myself. Your choice."
I laughed sharply, "That's not a choice!"
Kai began to count down on his fingers.
"Fine! You're impossible," I growled, pacing up to the door. I slid the key into the lock. Dad was sitting on the couch staring at the door.
I saw the fire in his eyes. If I had been alone this would have turned immediately ugly. But then his unfocused stare caught sight of Kai.
He stood up, unsteady on his feet, "Who's this?" He slurred, anger tinted his words.
I stepped back to the safety of Kai, "This is Kai. He just moved into town. He just wants to get to know everyone around the neighbourhood, so I thought I'd introduce you."
Dad seemed to toss these words around in his cloudy mind.
Kai stepped in front of me, "It's a pleasure to meet you Chris. I also wanted to come and apologise personally for your daughter's disappearance last night."
Dad heard that clearly and started to turn red with anger.
Kai put up his hands, "Oh, no. Nothing like that. I wanted to get ahead on the fishing game in time for the early morning catch. So, Serena kindly volunteered to get me up to speed on fish populations and the current market."
Dad snorted, "I bet you did." His breath let out a mighty stench.
Both I and Kai tried not to wince under it. Dad staggered towards me. My muscles clenched in anticipation. Was he really going to hit me with a witness?
"I thought you had finally done it. I thought you had left me." He sneered, "I thought you had run from me, just like that coward." He gestured the air, but I knew he meant my mother, "I found the chest of drawers barring your room. And you. You little demon," He poked my nose as he said that.
I felt Kai stiffen next to me.
Dad continued oblivious, "Had gone out the window. I waited for you, but you didn't come back. So I called the police. Wasted their time! Because you decided to be selfish."
I held my breath to avoid his stench, "I'm here now dad. I didn't leave you. I'm sorry. I'll call next time."
His nostrils flared, but I saw the red beginning to fade.
Turning to Kai I directed him to the door, speaking low enough for Dad not to hear, "Thank you for walking me home. I think I'll be alright now."
Kai looked down at me, unconvinced but resigned, "Ok. If you need me just come and find me."
I nodded and closed the door. Dad watched me cross the room.
I smiled as un-threateningly as I could manage, "Thanks for worrying about me. I'm really sorry I upset you. I'm just going to go to bed. It's been a long day."
He didn't answer as I retreated. Inside my room I found all my things tipped over and strewn across the floor. I righted the furniture and put all my belongings back in place. It didn't take long, as I didn't own much. I cautiously placed the chest of drawers back across the door and lay wide awake on my mattress.
I could still hear Dad pacing the living room. Something broke with a loud crashing finish. Then the haunting sound floated on the air. The ghostly cry of my fathers pain echoed through the house. It was the most awful sound in the world. It found its way straight to my heart, constricting like a snake. I rolled onto my side and closed my eyes.