Chapter 7

Pha's pov:

I had just gotten back to my office when i got a text from mom.

A smile automatically formed on my face when i saw it.

I was actually wondering if he would be able to sleep tonight but i guess i can rest assured.

I stared at the picture thinking about earlier today.

I have no idea why i let him in there when i wasn't there. I usually don't like letting anyone in there even if I'm there. But with Ming i feel like i can trust him blindly. I somehow know for sure in my heart he wouldn't damage anything and will keep everything back neatly.

Even though i haven't seen him for over 6 years, he hasn't changed at all. He's still that small bubbly boy who used stick to me wherever i went. Even being homeless for so long didn't change that.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a knock on the door.

"come in."

"Dr. Phana the patients are waiting for you." A nurse came in.

I sighed and kept my phone in the drawer before going out.

Bye the time i had finished checking and treating all the patients, it was already 5 o'clock in the morning.

I took my phone and keys and went out to my car.

I checked my phone after getting in the car.

I froze when i saw 3 missed calls and 5 texts from Ming. They were all at around 2 o'clock in the morning.

I quickly checked the texts.

He was saying he had a nightmare and couldn't sleep. And he wanted to hear my voice even for just a few minutes.

"Fuck..."

I put the phone away and drove to my parent's house as fast as i could.

Knowing him, he would have stayed in the room and cried rather than going and waking mom and dad up. He would have contemplated a lot before calling or texting me when he knew i was at work even.

I quickly got out of my car and walked in with long strides. I made sure to be quiet so i don't wake mom and dad up.

When i went into my room, Ming was sitting on the bed leaning on the headboard. He was hugging a pillow tightly. His phone was beside him on the bed. I could see dried tear trails on his cheeks. And there were dark circles under his eyes. He was staring blankly infront of him.

I walked to the bed quickly and sat beside him.

"Ming." I gently pat his shoulder.

He slowly looked up at me. His eyes were blank and he looked like he didn't recognise me.

"Ming it's me p'pha." I shook him a little.

He blinked profusely before his eyes lit up with recognition.

"P-p'pha?" His eyes widened.

"Yeah. I'm here." I pulled him into my embrace.

He snuggled close to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I left my phone in my office when i went to check on patients so i didn't see your texts and calls. I'm sorry." I said softly.

He shook his head. "It's ok. P' was busy. I should have been more thoughtful."

I pursed my lips and tightened my arms around him.

"Let's sleep. I'm tired and you haven't slept either." I said.

I took his phone and kept it on the nightstand along with mine.

I laid down under the duvet with him in my arms.

I kept stroking his hair until i could hear his soft snores.

I closed my eyes and fell into a deep slumber not too long after.

Emmie's pov:

When i went to check on Ming in the morning, i saw pha and him sleeping soundly.

I decided to let them sleep and not wake them up.

"Hey where's Ming?" Ben came out just as i had finished making breakfast.

"He's asleep. Pha came back earlier today and he's sleeping as well." I set the plates down on the table.

I made sure to make some for them and cover the plates.

He nodded and we started eating.

Pha and Ming came out just as we finished eating.

Pha was carrying Ming in his arms.

Pha looked normal. He's worked overnight a lot of times before so i guess he's used to it.

What worried me was how Ming looked. He had dark circles under his eyes which were red and swollen as if he had been crying and he was spacing out. He was clutching onto pha's shirt tightly.

"Ming are you ok?" I asked.

Ben was also looking worried.

"Umm can you make some food? He needs to eat." Pha said.

"I already made some. I'll reheat them. Sit down." I went into the kitchen.

I quickly reheated the food and brought the plates to the table.

Ming was sitting on pha's lap. He was still clutching onto his shirt and spacing out.

He ate without putting up any fight when pha started feeding him.

He didn't eat more than a few bites though.

My worry increased even more.

Pha sighed and put the fork down. He turned him so he was facing him and pat his head gently.

Before long i could hear his soft snores.

I looked at Pha worriedly.

"He had called and texted me at 2 o'clock in the morning saying he had a nightmare. But i had left my phone in the office when i went to check on the patients so i didn't see them until this morning." He explained.

My eyes widened.

I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off before i could.

"He probably didn't want to disturb your sleep so he didn't wake you up. I'm sure he contemplated a lot before texting and calling me even."

My worry increased tenfold.

"I should have checked on him during the night...." I mumbled.

"He'll be fine after he gets enough sleep." pha assured me.

But that didn't ease my worry even a bit.

Just then i noticed pha was wearing the same shirt he was wearing yesterday.

"Did you not take a shower?" Ben asked.

"He started crying and whimpering the moment i stepped away from him." Pha sighed.

We kept quiet after that.

Pha ate his portion and went back into his room with Ming in his arms.

I looked at Ben.

"Being on the streets at such a young age must have left a lot of scars on him. I should have known he wouldn't be ok even though he acted so cheerful most of the time." He frowned.

I nodded.