Longing

"Home/Work?" Nazli checked the notification on her moblile screen and she knew it was Ferit.

"Work" She replied. Ferit was working from home that day to spend some time with his mother, who was visiting him and also because there was not much to do.

"When are you flying again Ferit?" His mother asked though she got used to her son's erratic schedule by now. He seems to be spending half the month here and half in London. She was fine with it.

"I don't know Anne" He said as he checked his schedule trying to plan for the next few weeks. It was the best decision of his life to go and see her. Being with her felt right though they are yet to decide on the future. Thanks to the new contract at work as well, he got the chance to fly to London frequently. He missed her terribly when he was in Istanbul even when they call and text each other.

"I'm planning to get Fazilet to make some sweets for Deniz. He must be missing home food. I can get a box for you as well. Do you have any preference?" She asked Ferit.

"Tulumba" He blurted as he recalled Nazli mention how much she loved that sweet.

Mrs. Lehman was a bit surprised. Her son's default answer whenever she asked him what he wanted was "Your wish".

"Are you okay? I mean all this travelling must be tiring for you" She quizzed him.

"Anne I am perfectly fine. It's just that I haven't eaten them in a while" He tried to calm her. He acted like he was getting a work call and left to his room.

"Ruby/Sapphire?" She texted.

"Isn't it too soon to pick a ring?" He replied with a wink.

"I'm getting a bracelet. Have a wedding to attend this Sunday" She replied.

"And as for ring, diamonds are the usual preference of women and you better remember that" came in quick succession.

He knew she was only joking. He looked at the parcel lying on his desk and quickly opened it. It was a watch.

"To remind you of me all the time!! Happy birthday Ferit" The note with it read and he knew it was from her.

"So you knew" He said a smile forming on his face as she answered his call.

"Do you like it?" She asked him. She got him a watch from a famous brand she knew he likes.

"I've been planning to get one." He replied.

"Happy birthday Ferit!!" She missed him.

"Thanks Nazli but do you really think you can get away with a watch?" He questioned her.

"I think it should do for starters, as it costs a bomb" She retorted.

"I don't care, do you know how much I miss you today?" He asked her.

"Me too but don't worry I'll make it up to you." She teased him.

"I'll make sure you do. Have to go now." He could just talk to her for hours, but he planned a birthday dinner with his family and cut the call.

"Enjoy your dinner... I miss you" She texted, and he knew what he had to do.

She was on way to work the next day when she got a text saying, "See you soon!!"

She knew that meant he was on way and told him she might be home late that evening due to a scheduled monthly release at work.

She was late even by her standards of late. Release messed up and since it was Friday, she was left to pick pieces.

As she opened her door, she saw Ferit sleeping on the sofa. He must be tired from all the travelling, she thought. She ran her fingers through his dense hair and kissed his cheek.

"Where do you think you're going?" Ferit pulled her to sit on his lap as she started to move away.

"I thought you were sleeping" She said playing with his hair.

"I was bored of waiting, so thought I would take a nap... power nap you know" He said snuggling in closer and taking in her fragrance.

"Do you know how many miles I've acquired just over this last one month?" He asked her. His constant travel seems to worry his parents, but he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I know, why don't we go on a holiday somewhere?" Nazli giggled. He was constantly juggling between her and his work back home. It helped that his job required him here sometimes as well.

"I missed you" She hugged him tight. She missed his presence whenever he was back home. Although they called each other, it was never the same.

"Me too"

"What's for dinner?" She asked as she skipped lunch.

"I got you some sandwich but..." Before he could continue,

"You can do better than that Ferit" She headed towards the fridge to pick up the sandwich.

He knew she didn't like cold sandwiches but he was too tired after all the travel that he just grabbed whatever he could find in the supermarket.

"Ah tuna and cucumber, this is like the worst thing you could have got me... you know I hate it" Nazli ranted her frustration when Ferit popped open a box of Turkish sweets and held it before her.

The kiss on his cheek meant, he was forgiven.

"You know how suspicious Anne looked at me when I asked her to make these" He complained.

"I don't care" She said as she stuffed herself.

"Wow, I must be the only guy in this world that can be dumped for food" He was sure Nazli would give him up easily in exchange for her favourite food.

"Says the person who's dumping me for a football match" Nazli retorted. Ferit was caught.

"I met Deniz at office today who was very excited to watch the game in the stadium with you on Sunday" Nazli crossed her hands.

Their families are yet to know about their relationship and that included Deniz and Asuman. Ferit convinced Deniz that it would be better for him to stay close to his office due to his long working hours.

"So, did you really come because you missed me or was it the game?" Nazli looked serious.

"And what exactly do you want me to do when you go away for the wedding? Sit and wait here" That didn't come out right he thought.

He didn't mind waiting for her. He knew she loved her job, and it was as important for her as his work was for him.

"I didn't mind at all today Nazli, I made plans with Deniz on Sunday as I knew you were attending a wedding." Ferit tried to explain.

"I know Ferit" Nazli pulled his cheeks as he got all serious while she was just teasing him.

"You're so going to pay for this" He chased her across the room and both fell on the couch tired.

As they snuggled closer together, "Whats' the plan for tomorrow?" He asked her.

"I've a surprise for you" Nazli had a belated birthday surprise planned for him.

"This looks good" She touched his watch.

"Doesn't make up for you though" He picked her up in his arms without breaking the kiss and carried her to her room.