Chapter 7: Secrets with MYKA

Now, having been at sea for months, and seeing Antarctica for the first time, Stef began thinking back to that first night of dinner at the mansion, and meeting  MYKA  for the very first time, and getting acquainted as they boarded and found their berths.   Stef realized that having MYKA  for daily companionship had greatly changed the "self-confessed geeky" scientist's confidence level in speaking up and sharing with the community of scientists.

Still, there were barriers between the two of them, and the realization of secrets that must be kept, was causing strain and anxiety.  Stef had shared so much more personal information with MYKA, who did eventually begin sharing family stories, and likes and dislikes, but still seemed a mystery. For one thing, MYKA never shared a real name.

"What does MYKA  stand for?"

"I stand for protecting Earth's environment in all ways."

"You know what I meant, smart ass."

"I was told how important it was to stay anonymous, and I was told:

"Make Your Kin Anonymous" and so that is how I chose my code, MYKA because every time I use it, I am reminded."

"You could have told me that long ago."

"You didn't ask."

"I remember how you explained the code name business when we first boarded the ship."

"As do I.   I didn't say anything that wasn't true."

MYKA, had explained the night before the launch of the expedition, that part of the initiation into the research team, was to be given a new nickname of just four letters.  The name had to be something unique and short for labeling and recording entries in the scientific log reports.  MYKA was pronounced just like the mica found in quartz and in carefully layered sheets on an old cast iron stove door, allowing for just a glimmer of the flame lit within.  Thought it funny when people brought something for MYKA  and would reply, "I wouldn't take it for granted!  I mean granite!"  In addition to lightweight stainless and aluminum counter tops in the research vessel's labs, the break tables, desks and cabinetry in the heads had plenty of Formica, which was much lighter than granite counter tops.  Weight mattered a lot on an ocean- going vessel laden with heavy equipment.

StLF had explained that first night the intent in  using Stef's initials and pronouncing the four letter name "Stealth".  (Which kind of rhymes with "elf", if it is said with a lisp).  To Stef it had an appealing "ring" to it.  StLF liked to relate to the stealthy behavior of a favorite ancestor, Sir Steven Payne, who was the first to use a steam mapper device more than one hundred years ago and had visited many shorelines before his unexplained disappearance.   Sir Steven was a stealthy detective before he became a stealthy steam mapper.