The Never Finished Fable

Once upon a time, a scientist named Emily wanted to conduct an experiment.  She had for fun written a complicated novel, filled with facts and opinions.  To complicate it, she used science fiction and a steampunk character created by others as a starting point.  She decided to make characters who could be imagined in a dozen different ways.  She threw in some strange "What if?" scenarios.   She researched worldwide historical events that could all tie in to some unexpected climax.   She could rewrite contemporary history!

As an educator, she observed that sharing science facts to all readers and listeners requires adding entertainment.

The scientist's hypothesis was "Readers could be enlightened and educated on scientific research melded with adventurous stories of friendship involving secrecy and intrigue".

The author researched data gathered over a long period of time, adding many layers to the story.

The experiment would be conducted by publishing online.  As the experiment progressed, the scientist learned more about the resources available on the amazing website, wattpad.com .  The publishing had been premature.  The proofreading had not been thorough.  To the scientist's immense relief, the author could continue to access the story and edit and correct errors.   Fine tuning the story by experimenting with word choice and story emphasis could result in infinite trial runs.  Ideas from others could be incorporated.  The scientist could log in often, keeping a record of all entries.

The original published story, with its rankings and demographics would serve as the control of the experiment.

As the revisions continued, the author gained knowledge and insights.   She realized that keeping chapters short for younger readers, might have created choppy turn-offs for others.  She realized that long passages describing research facilities or species of mollusks could drag down the story line.

The scientist had an epiphany!  Another story could be written many times over.   And, over time, the adventures would change directions.  Perhaps, the multiple adventures could evolve to fit different genres and fit to different tastes of many readers, resulting in a satisfying read for everyone game enough to try.

The scientist concluded that such an undertaking would require simpler tales with pivoting choices.   Select your own voyage.   "Book" your own cruise.   "Choose Your Own Adventure".

The scientist also concluded that science themed movies and television programs may be the best way to make science come alive for many.  Committing to read a book that leads to more knowledge and deep thoughts, may be asking too much of readers who are seeking an escape from their realities.  But wait!  The plan was for the story to include fantasy and romance on the high seas.  It doesn't have to be "either/or", but it does take so much time to get it right.

The final conclusion, dear readers, is that such an elaborate experiment must remain a work in progress.  The scientific method of research could only lead to this conclusion.

And, that is the moral of the never finished fable: "A work in progress might one day be revealed and then be rewritten over and over again, until one day it becomes timeless to some and re- imagined by others."