Chapter 99: Comparable Grossness

StLF and MYKA  agreed that they had just witnessed an event grosser than anything they had ever seen on film.   As they had done many times before, they allowed themselves to chat about the fiction at the movies to get their minds off of the vivid images that were now forefront in their minds.

"So, StLF, what are some of the grosser movies that you've seen?"

"Well, Mom is always warning me about corrupting my beautiful mind with tasteless foolishness.  Campy movies from the fifties were okay, but as special effects with computer animation became the name of the game, Mom tried to censor what I watched as a teenager.  But Dad, the real film buff was a lot more open-minded and of course, I saw lots of stuff with friends that my folks never knew about."

"Sometimes, I'd see an old film from the seventies or eighties that drew me in, without me knowing that it would have gross parts later on.   I suppose I should have guessed that lots of bad language and a freaky cast, would be a sign that the whole plot might devolve.  Here's an example. I saw a film called The Ninth Figuration. About the only cast member I can recall is Stacey Keach.   Anyway, it was a lot darker than say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but some of it seemed to be funny in a similar way, but stranger dialogue if you can believe that.   A bunch of insane people, including an astronaut who freaked out before his moon shot, and a man trying to cast "Hamlet" with different breeds of dogs, and the Stacey Keach character who turns out to have fought in Vietnam.  Oh and a bunch of crazy bikers, who go to a dive not far from the asylum which by the way, is a really strange castle with gargoyles.   Anyway, near the end things get grosser than I would have expected, with a totally out of control bikers versus inmates scene. So how about you MYKA?  What's your idea of too gross to be watched?"

"I'd have to say that the movie I wished I hadn't watched was The Interview with Seth Rogen and James Franco.    All that hype got my curiosity up.    It was such a stupid movie with no redeeming value.   You said you saw it, too."  They agreed that it was something they'd never watch again.   Pathetic gag jokes.   Unspeakable cruelty.  Pathetic way to portray the leader of any country, regardless.  They were in total consensus on this one.   And, having just watched firsthand, a gruesome ending for a boatload of North Koreans, they decided it was a good idea to put the whole subject to rest and try to get some rest themselves.

MYKA  had pointed out that this was not the first time a fearsome giant squid had a connection with Dr. No.   Ian Fleming's sixth Bond novel with that title had a thrilling escape finale with James fighting off a giant squid with a knife stealthily taken from dinner.  The escape scene was altered for the first James Bond movie, as it was beyond budget to make a realistic version.  Many think the elimination of the giant squid attack improved the story line and made Bond a more suave, sexier character, capable of vanquishing his foes.  The villainous  Dr. No was a favorite character on a MYKA list of clever opponents.  "He survived the Tong  when they chopped off his hands and  shot him because his heart was in the right place."  MYKA said this with a smirk.  (This had to be googled later, as the Bond tale was unfamiliar.  Apparently Dr. No had to be stopped because he had  created a way to destroy test missiles being launched from Cape Canaveral.)

As time passed, more somber thoughts of what could have been set in.   Much, much later there would be news stories telling of the bravery of not just the American ships, but also of the brave Koreans who gave their lives.   As everyone began to unwind from the tension and drama building over the past week of confusion and fear, people noted just how much exhaustion they felt.   After the first hours of routine activity, bathing and a full meal, many were ready to head for the berths for the night.  Stef brought up a favorite playlist compiled by dad, and noticing aching muscles and deep weariness, drifted off to sleep hearing Eric Clapton's greatest hits.