Chapter 46: Dr. Ed Fulton, Harbor Branch, the Coast

Ed Fulton appreciated the hospitality Harbor Branch offered the Jason Project student guests when busloads of children descended upon their facilities.    A submersible was dry docked and everyone was invited to take a turn climbing into the sphere .   As he walked the grounds, Ed was mystified by the strange life-sized bronze statues jotting the landscape.  The characters were bizarre and out of place for a research center.   Later he learned that they were the works of C. Seward Johnson, Jr. (or the II) who was the center's co-founder and an avid sculptor.  (Ed later learned that Seward's sculptures were often ridiculed by critics, but now they are found worldwide and command very high prices.)

Ed learned a lot about the "Crazy Rich" Johnson family in a biography about the family and their many personal lawsuits.  The makers of "Johnson & Johnson" also made a really bizarre family tree. Family products equaled family profits but not family pedigreed prodigies.  Still, Seward's interest in science produced a legit magazine and ongoing research center.

Such opportunities, gave many students inspiration to seek careers in Oceanography and Marine Biology.  It certainly inspired both Professors Fulton (Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fulton, married in early 1993, later completing grad research studies together).  They vowed to continue studies to prepare for a life of research.   Their enthusiasm was passed down to Stef, a child who grew up on the water and learned so much through hands on experiences.  Even as a young adult, Stef enjoyed teaching and leading others in helping with environmental projects.  On one trip down to Melbourne, Florida to visit friends, Stef helped lead a Florida Tech project with Boy Scouts preparing oyster mats to seed the Indian River Lagoon.  Mangrove seedlings had been planted along the waterway years earlier, and the child of oceanographers had been part of that, too.