Chapter 22: Imagine Me and You

When alone, a daydreaming Stef liked to imagine that an adventure to Antarctica's base camps would be in store for the two of them, just as the previous generations of both families had experienced both the beauty and the unpredictable wildness of...

When alone, a daydreaming Stef liked to imagine that an adventure to Antarctica's base camps would be in store for the two of them, just as the previous generations of both families had experienced both the beauty and the unpredictable wildness of that frozen continent.  They would pose next to a crude snowman (named Ultima Thule) for selfies near glaciers as winter set in and then spend several months indoors gathering data for international programs at some of the most sophisticated laboratories working with NASA to solve the issues regarding Earth's ozone layer.  The 2018 announcement that the hole in the ozone was lessening was welcome news that produced even more questions for the scientists to answer.

Stef began to regard MYKA as a perfect companion for any adventure.   Sharing with each other their own stories of youth and how their interest in environmental issues developed cemented deeper feelings of admiration and desires to belong in Stef.   Stef added some quotes to the current journal and considered their meanings, while dreaming on.

"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."

"The Immense Journey" by Loren Eiseley

"No other place, always this

Your earthly landfall, and no ship exists

To take you from yourself."

By Lawrence Durrell