Chapter 13

Do you think your parents would be okay with you sleeping over next weekend?"

"Uh... What?" He needed a few moments to process what you had just asked him.

"You would only have to do two trips that way, it would save you a lot of time." You explained further.

"Yeah, I know but... Is that really okay?" He tried not to sound too skeptical of the idea, but failed.

"Sure, why not?" You asked.

"I dunno, I mean... Cause I'm a guy maybe?" He could've thought of a host of reasons why you might not want him to sleep over, in fact, no one had ever asked him such a thing before.

"I've had guys stay over before, no big deal." You told him and an unpleasant feeling settled in his stomach.

"I see." He said, trying to keep his negative feelings at bay and focusing on the positive. "Won't your parents mind though?"

"Nah, they're gone, remember? Unless I tell them, they won't even know." He didn't fail to notice the demoralized tone your voice took on as you mentioned your parents.

"Well then, if you don't mind, I will ask my folks if it's okay. It would be much less of a hassle that way." He wasn't sure if deciding this without thinking it through was a very good idea, but overthinking it would most likely lead to him chickening out anyway.

Hopefully, his parents would agree.

As you continued talking, branching into a different topic, he thought about all the new experiences he had had since starting high school. While in the beginning, he had mostly just thought of Shiratorizawa as an escape from his home situation, he was now feeling more and more at ease in the place.

The volleyball club, while harsh, had become a place of comfort and its members were becoming the friends he never had. You had become a friend to him as well, even though he felt you were different. You were more like... a mother? No, that was weird. An older sister maybe? Someone who took care of him on top of being his friend.

"Tendou? Are you still listening?" Your voice suddenly rang in his ear, shaking him from his thoughts.

"Yeah, I mean... No actually, I'm sorry. I'm just a little tired and my mind wandered off." He didn't feel like he could lie to you, but also hoped you wouldn't prod him about his thoughts.

"Hmpf... Well, thanks for being honest at least." You said and continued before he could say anything in return. "I'll let you go then, so you can maybe sneak in a nap before you arrive."

You started saying goodbye but he stopped you by calling your name.

"I really had a good time today, thanks." He told you and even though he couldn't see your face, he was certain he heard you smile as you replied.

"Yeah, me too. Thanks for making me feel less alone after you left."

"Oho? Is the training complete already? That will save me a lot of hundred yen coins." He joked and hoped you could hear him smiling as well.

"Less alone, a little bit less. I still need more food dogs! At least until the collection is complete!" You said and he could hear you muffle a giggle.

"That's a lot of dogs, you do realize after next weekend the assignment will be done? I'm not going to get you all of them in one day. Maybe you'll get two since technically I'll be there for two days, even if I'm only leaving once." He told you, even though he had already resigned himself to getting you all six dogs that made up the set.

"Just give them to me when you visit after? The loneliness has nothing to do with the assignment silly." You said spontaneously.

"After? You still want me to visit?" He asked, not even trying to hide the fact that he was surprised about that.