Chapter 05

You had just sat down for breakfast when you got a reply from Tendou.

'(*'0)ゞ morning~'

You grinned as you typed a response after glancing up at your mother and father, but both of them also had their eyes glued to their phones as they ate. You guessed that was one of the upsides of having workaholic parents, no one complained about your smartphone usage at the table.

'Any plans for today?' Was Tendou's next message.

'Not really. You?' You asked.

'Didn't you say you were going to cook this weekend?' He said, seemingly dodging your question. At least he apparently actually listened to what you had said during lunch yesterday.

'Hold on.' You typed and cleared your throat, trying to get your parents' attention.

"Mom, dad, will I be eating lunch on my own?" You asked, trying to sound as casual as you could.

"I'll be eating at the firm." Came your father's immediate reply. Your mom checked her phone and shook her head.

"I have an appointment around noon, so I'll be eating out. I might make it back for dinner." She said.

"Okay, I'll fend for myself then." You said and you didn't even have to make an effort to not sound disappointed this time. Your fingers started typing a message before you even had your full attention back on your phone.

'Yup! I'm going ahead with operation 'Try not to burn the house down'' You took a piece of toast with your free hand and started nibbling on it.

'Wow, that bad huh?' 

'No! I was just overreacting to make it funny!' As there came no immediate reply you asked him about his plans for today again.

'Oh, just the usual... Studying...' The overuse of dots made it clear that he wasn't very thrilled about it. But to be fair, who would be?

'Do we have a test coming up that I don't know about? You're studying a suspiciously high amount (≖_≖ )' You really hoped the answer wasn't 'yes'.

'I'm sad to announce that this is a normal amount for me.'

'My condolences.' You guessed Tendou wasn't in class 1 for being a natural born genius either. It seemed both of you worked hard under parental pressure. Which gave you an idea.

'Should we have a studying competition?' You suggested.

' ( ಠ_ಠ) '

'What?' You grinned at his choice of emoji as you responded.

'Are you mocking me? The last thing I want to do is study even more.'

'Well, I'd suggest doing something else, but I'm sure neither of our parents would be too thrilled with that. Brb.' 

You put away your empty plate in the kitchen and saw your parents off before taking one of your study books and putting yourself in front of the tv. You read a chapter to make sure that they were both gone, then made your way upstairs to your room where you picked up a manga magazine from your secret stash.

'I'm back.' You sent to Tendou, but his response stayed out for a while. You were halfway through the third comic in Shounen Jump when your phone buzzed.

'Me too, I just finished eating breakfast.'

'And now your parents are gone and you have the house to yourself?' You guessed.

'I wish! I don't know if you recall, but it is the weekend.'

'Well, I don't know if you recall, but I'm alone most weekends.' You were slightly offended at first, him wishing his parents were out of the house. It was a rare luxury for you to spend the whole day with both your parents present.