Chapter 03

On Friday morning Tendou dragged himself out of bed and got ready for practice. It was the first time he and the other first-years were joining and while he would never admit it, he was nervous.

Even though he had already had a talk with the coach, who had ensured him that nothing mattered if he could score points, he was still not convinced that this time around things would be different.

He had a hard time believing that he wouldn't be chewed out for jumping solely on his hunches. And even more than that, he was sure that within no time the team would be complaining about him. He'd probably be very lucky if he got to play in a few matches, Shiratorizawa having a ridiculous amount of players in the club, most of which were probably better than him.

Not bothering with his coat, he left the room and made his way to the gymnasium.

As he got closer, he noticed a boy from his class, also seemingly on his way to the gym. When the guy noticed him he raised his hand in greeting and slowed down his steps until Tendou was able to catch up with him.

"Volleyball?" He simply asked and Tendou nodded.

"Yeah." He said after a short bout of silence.

"What position do you play?" The blonde queried further. He must be the polite type, Tendou figured.

"Middle blocker." He answered and decided to humor the guy for now, even though he could not muster any enthusiasm in his voice. "You?"

"Setter. Have you been playing for a long time?" The guy kept going.

"I started in elementary school." He answered and found himself being pulled into the conversation. 

"Me too! I don't remember seeing you in any middle school tournaments though..." The guy wandered off with a pensive look on his face, but before Tendou could explain that he was mostly on the bench, the blonde turned to face him again. "My name's Semi by the way. Semi Eita."

"Tendou Satori." He returned the introduction as they made their way into the gymnasium and headed for the locker room. When they arrived, many of the first years were already changing into their training gear and Tendou couldn't help but study them.

Just by looking at them getting ready he could already pinpoint a few players that would definitely make it on the starting line-up soon. There was a tall guy, around his own height, that held himself with such composure and an air of confident nonchalance that it seemed like it was a given that he'd play in the team.

Tendou didn't mind his kind a lot, they were usually too occupied being their magnificent selves to even notice him. He was just an ant that could be crushed under their boot, but they wouldn't go out of their way to do it at least.

Then there was the shorter guy, he was most likely a libero, who was chatting with another guy animatedly. He figured that both he and the blonde were the most likely candidates to start getting on his case soon.

The last guy that caught his attention had more of a bulky build. He had the kindest look to him of everyone present, but Tendou knew that his ilk would be good to him in his face, and then when they thought he wasn't listening would turn around and complain about him to the others.

When everyone was done changing they made their way to the training court and joined the third and second years in lining up.

The coach gave everyone a once over, remarking things here and there, and then, without much ado, everyone was quickly introduced and training began.

An hour later, Tendou found himself on his way to class. Semi Eita was walking with him, and he found himself feeling more than a little distraught.