Chapter 18

It had taken him a good five minutes to figure out the washing machine but in the end, Tendou had been able to get the machine started. He had picked a short program so you would still be able to take them out before leaving for school for the week and could only hope that that would be enough to get the chocolate stain out.

He could only hope that you wouldn't get in trouble with your parents for this if they ever found out. After making sure the washer was doing its job, he made his way to the living room to wait for you to finish washing up.

In the meantime, he went over the message thread with his mother again to make sure she had agreed to take you along with them to school. In all honesty, he had no idea how it would go. He had never had any friends to present to his parents, even though they had suggested he get a study buddy now and again.

He kept telling himself over and over that as long as the topic remained school and homework, nothing could go wrong.

Trying to get his mind from coming up with too many ways that things could go wrong, he turned on the tv to distract himself.

After skipping through the channels for a little while, you appeared in the doorway. Your hair was damp, suggesting you had washed it along with your face and you had a bag with you alongside your backpack.

"Sorry for taking so long, I packed my stuff as well." You explained, motioning to the bag that you left in the hall. He nodded and scooted to the side a little, making room for you on the couch.

Your demeanor seemed quiet in comparison to before and he wondered if you were angrier about what happened than you were letting on. As you plopped yourself down on the couch next to him and pulled your feet up, he was reminded of another moment in the guest room.

There had been a moment of silence when you were sitting on the bed, and he had had a distinct impression that you had left something unsaid. He had eventually broken the quiet by asking about the guest room, but the feeling that somewhere some sort of miscommunication had happened had not left his mind.

Had he not apologized enough?

Wait.

Had he apologized at all? Had you been waiting for an apology and had he started asking about the room instead? 

Was that why you were so quiet now? His mind started racing for ways to repair the damage he had done. But instead of coming up with something useful, he just started remembering the whole weekend, and suddenly what had moments ago been nothing but good memories started morphing in his head.

He remembered every tiny detail that he thought he did wrong. Anything from his actions to the words he had used to that one time he may have laughed just a tad too loudly. One by one every memory became soiled and what had been a fun weekend turned into something he wished had never happened.

Thinking of the gachapon dogs he still had stuffed away in his pack, he could only come to the conclusion that they would stay there forever. There was no way you were inviting him over again after such a disastrous weekend.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he startled when your weight suddenly leaned against him. Briskly he turned his head to see what had just happened and he found you dozing off on his shoulder.

A sigh of relief escaped his lips before he even knew it and he relaxed some at the realization that you had just been tired. Right?

He shut his own thoughts down before he could start doubting again and decided to focus on the stupid show that was on instead.

That was easier said than done though since the show was really, really boring. He would have changed the channel, were it not that the remote was out of reach and he was afraid to wake you up if he leaned forward to grab it.