Chapter 30

Once you had gone inside your karaoke room everyone who hadn't met yet got introduced. You learned that the two guys were first years, Kawanishi Taichi and Yunohama Shun. The girl, Suzuki Hina was a second-year student and a friend of Semi's.

You were introduced as Tendou's friend and former classmate which seemed to pique Hina's interest.

Everyone ordered a drink first before the first songs got selected and Semi started the evening off by going first.

Tendou was seated next to you most of the evening with either Semi, Yamagata, or Oohira on your other side. Whenever you found yourself alone or next to someone else, Tendou never took long to return to your side.

On the one hand, you appreciated his presence but on the other hand, it kind of irked you that he was being so thoughtful now. Compared to last year, the two of you had been rather distant with each other in the new school year.

Once it was time to see if Tendou would be winning his bet, Hina made her way over to sit next to you in his place. To everyone's surprise, Ushijima actually accepted the mic Tendou gave him and stood up with him.

When the song came on, a few of the guys snorted and Yamagata on your right muttered. "He must have picked the wrong song, that idiot."

The song in question was Senbonzakura, a recent Vocaloid song that was not something anyone expected Ushijma to be able to sing.

Which explained why everyone was shocked into silence when he did, unexpectedly well even.

You were so astounded that you barely noticed that Tendou, who you had never heard sing before either, was doing quite well too.

As the song ended, everyone clapped and Hina next to you exclaimed: "I'm so surprised! They did so well! Don't you think so?"

It took you a moment to process that the question had been directed at you and you stumbled for an answer.

"Yeah, of course!" You responded, not quite sure why she had decided to sit next to you in the first place.

Hina was originally from class 2 but has been transferred to class 1 this year. It almost felt like she had taken your place, now that you thought about it. You had heard a few of the girls in your new class mention that they were sad that she had been assigned a different class at the start of the year but nothing much after that.

"So how do you like it in your new class?" She asked you, and once again you found yourself unsure about her reasons to seek you out. Was it because you were the only other girl present?

You glanced around the room before answering and met Tendou's eyes. He was currently in a conversation with Ushijima, Semi, and Yamagata, who had left your side as soon as Ushijima and Tendou finished their song. You could imagine them discussing the newfound talent and what song they were going to make him do next. When Tendou noticed you he gave you a grin and a wave, and you sheepishly waved back at him.

"I like it well enough, everyone is really nice." You replied, not willing to really open up to someone you had only met formally an hour ago.

"Don't miss your old class too much?" She continued her prodding and you grew a little suspicious of her.

"Of course I do, but it's not like I never get to see them. I often sit with them during lunch and stuff." You answered, wondering if there was a point to this line of questioning.

"Or go to karaoke with them?" She asked and left you unable to give her a proper answer.

"At first I thought you were also a friend of Semi's, but when they introduced you it all made sense. You're that girl Tendou mentions every so often." She continued and you could only bring out a questioning 'Huh?'.