Chapter 29

In the morning you woke up underneath two blankets, still leaning against Tendou.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." He said in a groggy voice, making it obvious that he had also just woken up. You sat up immediately after noticing that he was still sitting on the bed, his back leaning against the wall and you realized that he slept like this the entire night.

"I'm sorry! You could have woken me up or pushed me off or something!" You apologized and made room for him to lie down.

"It's okay, I don't need a lot of sleep anyway." He said, but did take advantage of the space you had made for him.

It was still early but you could already hear the buzz outside picking up again.

"I'm going to try and find out what's going on."You said as you got up from the bed and stretched.

"Are you sure? I could do it as well." Tendou said and started to push himself up to a sitting position but stopped when you shook your head violently.

"I'll be okay, I've calmed down quite a bit since yesterday." You assured him. "You take a nap while I'm gone."

He lowered himself down reluctantly and you stepped outside.

After a while you returned to the room with a lot of news, most of it not very good. You decided to lead with the worst news, so everything after that would seem less bad.

"There's a lot of talk about problems in Fukushima, with the nuclear plant." You told Tendou, who had been sitting at his desk when you came back from your little exploration.

"Great, as if a massive earthquake and tsunami weren't enough..." He sighed and put his phone away. "What's next? A meteor strike?"

"Don't you dare jinx it!" You chided and took the other desk chair to sit down on. "Food will be rationed, but I guess that won't be a problem for you."

He flashed you a grin signifying that he agreed with you. "Who knew that having a small appetite would come in handy one day eh?"

You filled him in on some other things and after talking a bit more it was time to go to the cafeteria for breakfast. There you met some of your friends and some guys from the volleyball club, some were more spooked than others but it was clear that everyone had been impacted in a big way.

The next days and weeks life slowly started picking up again. The dorms at school were used as emergency shelters for people who needed them as much as possible. So as soon as you were able to go back home you did, same for Tendou.

The school year ended with a lot of confusion and unfinished business and went into a solemn spring break. You still had to commute to school at the start of the new school year, but were assured that most of the refugees would be going to more suitable lodgings soon.

The news of you not being able to stay in the dorms yet was nothing compared to the news of you being in class 2 this year. Your parents were not too happy with it, since many people saw class 1 as the class for the smartest kids. For you, the reason to be unhappy about it stemmed from a very different fact though.

What made you unhappy was that Tendou, along with Semi, was still in class 1. For a moment you started to wonder that if you would've worked harder to get better grades you would also still be in class 1.

There wasn't really anything you could do about it though, since you were not going to complain to your homeroom teacher or the principal about wanting to switch classes when they had their hands full dealing with all the extra students that had come to your school since their own schools had been damaged, or even destroyed, by the earthquake.