Chapter 38

You checked the time on your phone for what seemed like the hundredth time in the last ten minutes.

You knew volleyball matches could go on for a long time, but this was getting ridiculous. You had sent Tendou a few messages already, but hadn't gotten a reply, which probably meant the match was still going.

Or he hadn't seen your messages.

Or he was ignoring you.

Or something had happened on the ride home.

As your mind started going in directions you didn't want it to, you buried your nose back into the book you had gotten from the library. You had used the library excuse on your parents so you wouldn't have to tell them your real reason for going to school early was a boy, but that didn't mean you couldn't actually use your time waiting for him to study.

You had hung around the parking lot, alternating between waiting outside while reading your book and going into the nearby 7-Eleven to warm yourself up. While you were in the store you flipped through the magazines until the store clerk started looking like he would kick you out if you didn't buy something fast.

In the end it was almost a full hour after the time Tendou had told you he'd likely be back that the buses finally pulled up to the parking lot.

You slammed your book shut and stood up straight as soon as you heard the crunch of the tires on the gravel.

You took a moment to pump yourself up again, as the long wait had caused your excitement to die down quite a bit, and made your way closer as buses and cars started parking. As soon as the first guys started getting out of the bus, however, you knew something was wrong.

All around you people got out of vehicles and started making their way to either the dorms or the street to go home.

Soon you heard talk around you about how the team had lost and wouldn't be going to nationals. Most of them sounded supportive, but here and there you heard people complaining about or critiquing some of the players.

The team's bus had emptied by the time you got there and you watched as they made their way towards the gym, most likely for a debrief.

You started jogging after them when your phone buzzed. It was a message from Tendou, so you stopped to look at it.

'Sorry for not letting you know sooner but I'm going to be late. I'm back now but we're going to the gym first. You don't have to wait for me.'

You hesitated before sending a reply.

'I'll wait in the dorms.'

There was no more response after that and you went inside like you had told him.

It took another hour for him to finally get back which you spent staring at your book. You didn't actually absorb a lot of what you read, your mind was too distracted by this unexpected outcome. It was only when he finally walked through the entrance that a realization suddenly hit you.

If they lost, that meant they wouldn't go to nationals. And since the January nationals was the last tournament of the year you had missed out on your chance to attend one of their matches.

You had lost the chance to see Tendou play in an actual game.

Before you knew it your vision blurred and Tendou walked up to you, worry evident in his voice.

"What's wrong? If I knew something had happened, I'd come to see you first." He said as he put a hand on your shoulder and bent down a little to be able to better see your face.

You shook your head quickly, not wanting him to think you had been waiting for him in distress this whole time.

"No, I have good news." You said, voice slightly fragile, which made him raise an eyebrow in confusion.