Chapter 43

"So Wakatoshi, your family runs a hotel empire then?" Tendou asked Ushijima.

"No." The latter replied in his usual dry manner. "We have to cross the street here."

Ushijima had been awaiting the two of you in front of the college gymnasium and was now taking you both to the place Tendou would be staying for a while. It was only a short walk to leave the college grounds and then cross the street to get to a big u-shaped building.

Ushijima led you to one of the entrances and opened the door for you to enter.

"What is this place?" Tendou asked, now getting very suspicious.

"My dorm building." Ushijima came in with the dry response again. "You're going to be staying in my dorm for a while are you not?"

You felt a little bad for not telling Tendou about it now, but you had been afraid that he would have never accepted the offer if he had known about it in advance. As Ushijima let the both of you into his room you started explaining to Tendou.

"This morning I was planning on calling all our friends to see if anyone knew of a place you could stay. I started with Ushijima and he offered to let you stay in his dorm for a while." You explained and Ushijima nodded his confirmation.

"You'll have until college starts, when his roommate moves in, to figure out what to do." You continued. Tendou was about to speak but was uncharacteristically interrupted by Ushijima.

"I'm not getting a roommate."

"You're what now?" You asked, shocked.

"My mother made sure that I won't be getting a roommate." He said to you and then turned to Tendou. "You can stay until I graduate."

While Tendou had already been silent ever since he had learned about what was happening, you were now also at a loss for words.

"That should be in two years." Ushijima added and you couldn't do anything but look from one to the others, waiting for Tendou to say something.

"Thanks." He finally simply said.

You were torn between telling Ushijima that his offer was way too generous and just keeping your mouth shut. In the end, your indecisiveness defaulted you to the latter option as the three of you stood in silence for a whole minute.

You and Tendou were still processing what had just happened, while Ushijima had never been uncomfortable with silence.

"I'll repay you one day." Tendou finally said and Ushijima nodded, then checked the time on his phone.

"I have to go back to the gym." He said and made his way over to one of the desks on the opposite side of the bunk bed. He opened one of the drawers and pulled out a set of keys.

"This one is of the building and this one is of the room." He explained as he handed them over to Tendou, who still looked overwhelmed.

Ushijima started making his way outside when Tendou finally called out to him.

"Wakatoshi, thank you. For everything."

Ushijima halted but without turning back told him: "Don't worry about it." Then he walked out the door and was gone.

Silence fell over the two of you again, both of you needing a little time to let what had just transpired sink in.

"I guess I'll be going then as well." You finally announced, wanting to give Tendou a little bit of space and time to figure out what he was going to be doing next. But as you made an attempt to leave, he grabbed your wrist to hold you back.