Chapter 28

The evening of the disaster you sat in your dorm room on your own. Akari had left hastily half an hour ago. Her parents had come to pick her up, even though you all were on strict orders to stay inside until further notice.

She wasn't the only student that had left though, it was difficult to control anything in this chaos and many teachers had stopped trying.

After sending another e-mail to your parents' work addresses to assure them you were still fine, you looked outside your window to the bustle outside. The sun was starting to set and you realized it wouldn't be long before you would be sitting in complete darkness.

The power had gone out this afternoon and hadn't come back on yet. Panic started to grip you as the shadows grew longer and longer. You absolutely did not want to be alone in the dark right now.

You wondered what to do for a moment before grabbing some essentials. You took a set of clothes, some snacks and your phone, stuffed them in your bag, and without another thought stepped out of your room.

The halls were just as busy as it was outside. Students were going in and out of their rooms, teachers trying to keep everything as quiet and organized as possible. Almost everyone was holding their phone, most likely trying to figure out what the home situation was like and trying to let their families know that they were okay.

There was not even a need to sneak, you would blend into the disorder whatever you did. Heart beating fast, you tried to think of where to go as you walked the hall. Going home had been the first thought on your mind but the power outage meant that no trains would be operating either.

Before you were well aware, your feet were already rushing you up the stairs and you quickly realized where they were taking you.

When you arrived at Tendou's door, you banged your fist on it harder than was probably necessary. You couldn't help it though, the sounds of people panicking and grieving were positively freaking you out and you needed to get out of the hallway.

It didn't take long for the door to open and when he realized it was you, Tendou ushered you inside quickly.

"Ishida isn't here, he's been home sick all week." He said as you scanned the room.

You nodded and were glad to be out of the chaos. Standing there, staring at the wall must have made it painfully obvious that you were not holding up so well because Tendou gently put a hand on your shoulder and guided you to sit down on the lower bunk.

"I'll get you some water, don't move." He instructed you and disappeared into the bathroom. A few seconds later he emerged again and held out a cup for you to take.

You took a few sips and then put the cup away on the nightstand. You looked up when you felt Tendou sit down next to you, the mattress shifting under his weight.

He stared back at you for a few seconds and when you tried to say something to him, you felt your lower lip quiver.

Ever since the earthquake first hit, all through the tsunami warnings and the aftershocks that had been going on, you hadn't cried. You had just tried to think about what you should be doing next each step of the way.

Follow the teacher, try to notify your parents that you were okay as soon as possible, listen to instructions, follow instructions, go to your dorm, keep your parents updated, try your best to comfort Akari, whose sick grandmother lived in one of the regions that were hit by the tsunami, help Akari pack, sit around waiting for further instructions, leave your room, find Tendou.

Now that you had completed that last step it seemed that there was nothing more you could think of to do and the reality of the situation started to sink in. There was no knowing what would happen from here on out, all you knew was that nothing would be the same tomorrow.