Chapter 36

The next day, on Tendou's birthday, you had arranged to meet up with him at the 7-11 near him at 1 pm.

He'd go out 'to buy snacks', so he didn't have a lot of time to see you, but you'd at least be able to give him the gift and wish him a happy birthday.

Even though you had prepared the clothes you were going to wear yesterday evening and had made sure your essentials were in your bag, you still managed to make yourself late. You were hurrying to the train station when you received a message from Tendou.

'You still on for today?'

You didn't respond immediately, focusing on catching your train first. The last of the people were boarding when you came running onto the platform and with a last dash, you made it onto the train.

As you stood there panting, a lady stood up and offered you her seat. You declined at first, not wanting to take a seat from someone older than you and ashamed that you needed one after running that moderate distance.

She assured you she needed to get off at the next station however, and in the end, you let her convince you to sit down.

After catching your breath for a few moments you took your phone and replied to Tendou's message.

'I just got on the train (。•̀ᴗ-)b✧'

You hoped that after giving him the smartphone you would be able to talk with him using Line instead of sending regular texts. With how many kaomoji he used, you could only imagine the chaos you were unleashing by introducing him to Line's many stickers.

'Good, see you soon. ( ^_^)' He replied.

After that, you didn't hear from him again, even though you sent him a few messages letting him know how far along the ride where you were.

It was the first time you went to his place, or near it at least, and also the first time you got off the train at this stop. You pulled out your own phone and checked your maps app to figure out where you needed to go.

The walk wasn't very long and soon you saw the familiar green, red and white colors of the 7-11 signs. As soon as you spotted the store, you sent a message to Tendou, letting him know you had arrived.

You didn't need to wait long before you spotted him walking towards you in the distance. He wore a black hoodie and training pants, which you were used to seeing him in.

As he approached you, you felt your nerves building and started fidgeting.

"Hey!" You greeted him as he came into hearing distance and you walked the remaining distance to meet him halfway.

"Hiya." He responded and you couldn't help but notice that he lacked some of his usual energy. He seemed to be doing fine otherwise though, so you figured he was just a little tired.

"Do you want to go shopping first?" You asked, for some reason trying to postpone having to give him your present.

"Anything's fine with me." He said and already made his way into the store. Maybe he realized you were nervous and cut you some slack, or maybe he really didn't care. Either way, you were happy for the delay of the inevitable.

He made quick work of picking some snacks and drinks to make sure you still had some time for a little chat. As you stood next to him while he was paying, you already fished around in your bag to get the wrapped box out. You held it down, beside you, waiting to find a good moment to give it to him.

The quiet really started to get to you when he walked outside, leaned against the store's wall, and pulled out a box of pocky. He picked one of the sticks out and then offered you one.