Chapter 25

"I'm just starting to be able to make friends, I think we both know I'm not ready to try going out with someone."

Before Tendou could get suspicious of your long pause you quickly spoke up.

"You should do what feels right for you." Was what you told him, while you made your own resolve to stick by those words as well.

He nodded and pushed himself up to a sitting position. You followed his example and watched as he got up to his feet.

"I'm done doing nothing." He told you and extended his hand to help you up. You didn't hesitate to grab it and pulled yourself up to stand as well.

"Thanks." He said as you were dusting yourself off.

"Huh?" You said in an unladylike fashion and watched a grin appear on his face for a split second.

"For listening to me and giving me a shove in the right direction. I've never really had someone to listen to my... worries. I'm sure the guys would too but... I don't feel like explaining my 'situation' to them." He clarified.

You processed his words for a moment and then gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it! I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest and that we were able to resolve it. Next time you're feeling down or someone is bothering you, I hope you'll come to talk to me again."

He seemed to be a little taken aback at your response and you could hear the emotion in his voice as he thanked you once more. And that was when the words you had said only minutes before already rang back in your ears.

It felt right. You stepped closer to him and without any warning wrapped your arms around his back.

If he had been a little bit taken aback before, this time, you completely caught him off guard. Even though he was completely stiff in your embrace, you refused to let go.

A few seconds passed before you felt him relax and he hesitantly put his arms around your waist. Knowing that you couldn't stay like this forever, you etched the feeling of his sweater against your cheek, the smell of his laundry detergent, and the faint sound of his breathing into your memory.

Then you patted his back and reluctantly let go of him.

"You said you were done with hanging around, right? Want to go to the arcade again?" You tried your best to sound unaffected but had no idea how well you did. Stepping away from him, you turned your back and pointed along the river. "We could also walk a bit further but, unless you want to go to the dentist, there really isn't anything there."

"Ah yes, the dentist was on my to-do list for today." He said sarcastically and you were relieved that you could go back to your usual way of bantering with each other.

"To the arcade it is!" You said and picked your bag back up from where you had dropped it on the ground when you had first arrived here.

Tendou did the same, but as he swung his backpack up, you heard a snap followed by a soft thud. He examined his bag to see what had just happened and then squatted to pick something up from the ground.

"What happened?" You asked as you approached him.

"Doraemon broke." He said as he held up a little figure for you. Half of a chain was attached to his head and you suspected the other half was still dangling from Tendou's backpack.

"He must have gotten stuck in that bush..." He deducted as he looked around him.

You didn't really believe in faith or anything of the kind, but as you thought of the jade keychain stuffed in your bag, this seemed like an awfully convenient coincidence.