Chapter 8

Less than 12 hours later, Clara found herself taking inventory of Araminta's luggage as she, her mistress, and Lucretia prepared to board the transport airship to Harrison's manor. It was awkward, with all three of them there waiting for the ship, although Clara couldn't figure out exactly why.

Even though she wasn't looking forward to the week, Clara still found herself wishing for the transport airship to arrive and to get the week started. At the very least, it would take them out of this awkward waiting space.

Clara had just made eye contact with Lucretia when Andani opened the doors out to the platform. An airship was finally there waiting for them. Araminta swept forward as soon as the airship doors opened, leaving Clara and Lucretia to deal with her luggage, fortunately with Andani's help, awkwardly dragging it aboard behind them.

"Thankfully, it's not a long trip," Lucretia said, trying to break the silence as the airship departed from the Llewelyn Manor. "They're close by, the Norrington family."

"Yes, I suppose they are." Araminta didn't seem in the mood for talking, but she didn't snap at Lucretia for speaking out of turn. Clara couldn't help but purse her lips. If she had spoken casually and out of turn like that when Araminta was in this type of mood, she would have been in for a sharp reprimand, for sure.

The rest of the trip passed in silence. It didn't seem all that long for Clara, but of course, she had already traveled this path once before, and not all that long ago. Not that Lucretia could ever know that. For the other two, however, this was a completely new journey.

As the airship docked with the Norrington manor, the now familiar butterflies in Clara's stomach reappeared. She cursed to herself. The last thing she needed was to be tripping over herself throughout the week. She swallowed hard and forced herself to believe that she was only feeling nerves about spending a week in an unfamiliar manor with unfamiliar people.

Harrison was waiting for them the moment the doors opened. Araminta stepped forward, and he gently picked up her hand and pressed his lips to it. Clara could see his mouth move, but he spoke too softly for her to hear what he said.

Several of his household staff came forward to help Clara and Lucretia with Araminta's luggage, and the group of them followed Harrison further into the manor, presumably to the chambers Araminta would stay in for the week.

Clara had expected the manor to be familiar to her, and while she recognized the basic layout of the ground floor, everything looked quite different from the last time she had been here. Only now did she appreciate how much effort the Norrington household had put into decorating and preparing for the ball thrown for Araminta. Clara almost felt offended for the family that Araminta had decided to skip it and send a servant in her place. It wasn't like the Norrington's could be offended for themselves.

"I hope these accommodations will be suitable for you, my lady." Finally, after several staircases, and just as Clara felt like her hands were going to fall off under the weight of the bags she was carrying, Harrison stopped and opened a set of double doors. The chambers were lovely; not as big as what Araminta had usually, but the interior décor was somehow more extravagant.

Araminta took a few steps into the room and, after looking around for a moment, turned back around. "This will be more than suitable, thank you," she said. "Clara, Lucretia, bring everything in, please."

A thank you and a please. Araminta apparently was trying to impress. Clara and Lucretia, followed by Harrison's own staff, entered the room and stacked the luggage in one corner of the room as the betrothed carried on with quiet conversation.