Chapter 51

It was the longest transport ride of Clara's life.

She paced the length of the cabin. Up and down. Up and down. Up and down.

Ezra sat and watched her. He was looking worse and worse at every passing moment, and part of Clara felt guilty over asking him to do all of this in his condition, when all he needed was rest. But a larger part of her worried that rest wouldn't be enough. He just seemed so frail.

The transport came to a halt, but it didn't click into place at the transport dock.

"What's going on?" Ezra peered out one of the small windows. "Is it supposed to do that?"

Clara let out an impatient sigh. "It just means there are other ships using the transport dock right now," she explained. "It doesn't happen often, but with large events such as a giant wedding, it's not uncommon. We have to wait our turn."

Ezra sat back down and leaned his head against the wall, closing his eyes. "So, are we going to make it?"

"Well, if there are ships still arriving, that means all the guests haven't arrived yet," Clara reasoned. "And I'm sure Araminta is going to do her best to stall. So I don't think we'll have to burst in on the ceremony."

Ezra opened his eyes back up. "Clara?"
"Yes?"

"Help me understand."

She gave him a questioning look. "Understand what?"

"I'm not saying this to pick a fight." He shifted his weight in his seat. "But I guess I just missed a lot. Araminta and Harrison, I mean, you've never particularly disliked the people you work for. Not like me. But now you seem to actually like them. And I know you're not doing all of this for them, but they're definitely a part of your determination for getting this done. And I know you. You're not dumb enough to risk all this just because you like some boy."

Clara sighed and sat down next to him. "The situation is messed up," she acknowledged. "The whole system of the world we live in. But just like not everyone on earth is good, Ezra, not everyone who lives in the sky is bad. Maybe it's just a little change, but it has to be better than no change at all, right?" Part of her was desperate for him to confirm her thinking. All of this had to result in something positive.

"I suppose you're right."

"And regarding Harrison." Part of Clara desperately wanted to open up to him. Ezra, the person who had been by her side, been her family, for years. If she couldn't talk to him, who else could she talk to?

"Look, you're right, I'm not risking all of this because I have some fantastical notion that we'll get to live happily ever after when all this is over." Clara took a deep breath. "But is it so bad to think that maybe, just maybe, there's a possibility that I could find someone who might love me in the way that my father loved my mother? And I could return that? And we're not stuck in a situation where one of us is already married?"

"You love him?"

Clara shook her head. "No. I've been too busy with everything else that's been going on to think about love." Clara bit her lip. "But I think I could. You know, just give me a little bit more time with him when I'm not in panic mode."

Ezra chuckled, but then he quickly quieted. "Well, I can't wait to meet this man," he said. "If he has your approval, then he must be alright."

Clara glanced at him, half a smile on her face.

"You know I just want you to be happy, Clara," Ezra said quietly. "And if he ends up being a part of that, then I guess I can't complain."