Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Inhale, exhale..." I gestured to my client. "Tilt your head to the left... stretch your arm... then inhale, exhale."

The soothing melodies echoed throughout the studio. My client stood in the center, her eyes shut and her body moving to the hymn of the music. She danced gracefully as if some unseen force was guiding her.

Napangiti ako. Sinabayan ko ang paggalaw niya at ipinikit din ang mga mata. This was an effective way to release tension.

"Let's do it again, Ma'am..." saad ko bago ini-restart ang music.

Beads of sweat formed on our temples as we swayed our bodies gently and deliberately. With each step, I mumbled words of encouragement, my voice blending with the music in a soft, harmonious hum.

"Lift your arms and swirl your hands," saad ko. "This will help ease the pressure in your wrists and fingers."

Nakita kong sumunod naman sa akin ang kliyente. Isang oras pa ang itinagal ng dance therapy bago kami bumalik sa ospital. Nakasalubong ko si Reign, isa sa mga doctors, at niyaya akong mag-lunch.

"Wait," I mouthed to her before motioning my client. Nakaiintinding tumango naman siya.

Nang makapasok sa office ay pinaupo ko ang kliyente. I advised her to stay on her diet and keep up with her exercise routine. Bukod kasi sa weekly dance/movement therapy, nakakatulong din sa stress reduction and mood management ang nutritious diet. After all, the more you care for and love your body, the more you feel connected to yourself.

We also did some counseling, just asking how the week treated her. She was a recovering patient diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, so hearing her say the therapy had helped her was a relief to me.

"Thank you, Doc." Ngumiti siya sa akin. "This is the best therapy I've had ever since I was diagnosed. I'm so glad my doctor referred me to you."

My heart warmed at the compliment. "Thank you, Ma'am. See you again next week."

Nang makalabas siya sa opisina ay nag-retouch ako bago pumunta sa cafeteria ng ospital. Agad kong nakita si Reign na naka-order na para sa akin.

"Are you up for the blind date this Saturday?" tanong niya.

I scoffed before shaking my head. "I have work to do, and how many times do I have to say that I'm not open to dating?"

She rolled her eyes. "God, you're 34 and single, Vina! I feel so sad for your genes." She chuckled.

I narrowed my eyes on her. "I have tons of clients. I've got no time for that."

Muli siyang umirap sa akin. "You have time. You just don't want to!"

"Alam mo naman pala, eh..." natatawang bulong ko.

"What?" she asked, not understanding my language.

I laughed. "Look, I want to date a bachelor, but it's hard to find one at my age. I need someone who can work around my schedule. I only have one day off in a week."

"Oh, please! Don't give me that nonsense. All the men I asked you to date were bachelors!"

"Yeah..." I wrinkled my nose. "Are we really gonna talk about this over lunch?"

Nangingiting tumikhim siya. Nagpatuloy kami sa pagkain habang pinag-uusapan ang kanya-kanyang trabaho.

St. Miracle Hospital was the leading hospital here in Seattle. Kumpleto na rito—Psychiatry, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, Neurology, Obstetricians and Gynecology, and more. Kahit ako na may katagalan nang hindi pina-practice ang pagiging psychiatrist ay tinanggap nila; hindi lang bilang psychiatrist kung hindi bilang dance therapist.