第二章

Yikun Palace was beautiful as it was elegant, she felt at peace as she was home once more entering the palace, she turned directly to Hongli

Yikun Palace was beautiful as it was elegant, she felt at peace as she was home once more entering the palace, she turned directly to Hongli. Seeing him again was a blow to the heart after everything he had done, she still loved him but at the same time, she hated the man he would grow to become.

"Ruyi" She had missed when he said her name like a prayer when there was so much love and honest awe attached to it. Hearing him say her name like that made her heart hurt a bit as she remembered the feeling when he stopped.

She wondered if she would be able to alter that path as well, but something told her that she would have to wait. As she moved to give her an appropriate greeting, he stopped her and moved forward she just stared at him as he seemed to drink in her appearance "You're back" those words were spoken so simply as if everything was back to normal.

"Your Majesty you talk as though I've just taken a stroll to the Imperial Garden for fresh air and come back" never once as she spoke did, she meet his eyes. It seemed as if he had missed her, but she was hurt and felt betrayed. Nothing would protect her from that feeling he needed a guilty part, and she was presented.

Even as they spoke, she blinked back tears not only for now but then when he had betrayed her, doubted her, hit her and trusted in Consort Ling instead of the woman he had loved in his youth. The gift of makeup did not erase the damage, but it was a pleasant gesture after all Yikun Palace was a gift in itself. So, she decided to bear with His Majesty's presence for now.

Something about Ruyi was different and he knew it growing up inside the Forbidden Palace had made him aware of the schemes of the harem and the fight to get their son on the throne. So when she began to act differently he noticed it was not a huge change as she was always smart and kind but now she was guarded and unsure even of him.

It hurt he had to admit but he had let her fall off the cliff he had failed her so it would be obvious that she no longer had the same faith in him as before. Staying any longer would be testing her a bit too much after what she had gone through. He could see her blinking back tears and the immense pain and sadness in her eyes. She really had changed. As he made his way to the Hall of Mental Cultivation he wondered if he would ever gain her forgiveness.

Not long after the emperor left did Ruyi relax she let the tears fall before smiling at Suoxin who had entered the room and was looking at her mistress with a concerned expression, but Ruyyi just fixed her appearance before standing up "Let's go see Hailan" she said the joy in her voice gave Suoxin some hope maybe Noble Lady Hai would cheer his mistress up.

As she helped her lady, they heard a familiar voice "Jiějiě" at first Ruyi paused thinking she was hearing things in her eagerness but then it repeated twice more and entered Hailan. Her sweet sister with a smile walked over and brought her into a quick hug before the two sat down. It was a bit quiet as she calmly looked at Hailan before asking "How are you?" that was all she needed to see for the conversation to flow but then something strange happened "This will be my first and last child" Ruyi was surprised by this statement, but she understood that Hailan held no affection for Hongli.

Then Hailan whispered something that broke Ruyi "Yongqi in this life I shall continue to protect you" it was whispered so softly she probably would have missed it, but she heard it loud and clear Ruyi lowered her cup and looked around Souxin was the only one left in the room. "Souxin guard the door" as the little maid left Ruyi turned to Hailan and asked, "How did he bury me?" those words caused Hailan to look up at Ruyi in shock "You as well."

The two women now exchanged a look of understanding before Ruyi looked towards the door "This time I will remain Empress till I die, this time my children will live" Hailan saw the look in Ruyi's eyes and nodded both women were no longer the soft ladies the haram had known. In a few days, certain events would come to pass but there was one thing that would not happen, and they were going to guarantee it.

Firstly, Ruyi looked at Hailan and sighed "Your marks I have something that will help" Hailan nodded in understanding as Ruyi looked at the paintings on the walls and then mumbled "I need to see the dowager empress then we will deal with your marks"

Hailan waited when Ruyi left her eyes hard as she thought about her sister's last days suddenly understanding why she pushed them away. Looking around the room she realised that soon they would have to face those wicked women again. As she thought about it her eyes narrowed Yongqi would be her and Jiejie's son, but she needed to have one more child. Her thoughts were brought to a stop when Ruyi entered the room and smiled.

She then looked at Hailan "Go get some rest tomorrow we shall deal with the other details" Hailan nodded and left Ruyi then wrote down some ingredients and a list of instructions turning to one of the palace maids she remembered from her previous palace she smiled the girl was smiling through tears of happiness they were her most loyal.

"Give this to Jiang Yubin" the little maid nodded and ran off while Ruyi looked at Souxin that night she had the same dream only this time next to her aunt was her past self she would accomplish her goal even if it made others miserable.