第二十-五章

The Empress Dowager sat in Yukin Palace with a heavy frown on her face

The Empress Dowager sat in Yukin Palace with a heavy frown on her face. While the Emperor was in the seat beside her. Both figures glared angrily at the fallen figure before observing the women of the harem. They had been summoned and every one of them had to see the punishment. "Ajia never thought that I would regret my son becoming Emperor. Back then when the second Empress of the Ula-Nara clan ascended she asked me about it, and I said I would not have my son marrying women like us." Many listened with surprise as they were too young to know of the first empress.

"Ruyi; takes after the first empress who was virtuous and magnanimous. It is why I accepted her as a daughter-in-law, she proved to be the wife I wanted for my son. Yet women like you Jin Yuyan always seem to creep into this harem". The woman's voice progressively got louder and louder until she stopped and turned to the crying woman on the floor.

"YOU DARE CAUSE CHAOS IN THE IMPERIAL HAREM! YOU DARE TO CURSE IMPERIAL HEIRS AND KILL THEM!" Many in the room jumped, while others nervously clutched their clothes. This was the Empress Dowager, the previous emperor's favourite who was said to have looked exactly like the first empress of the time. "Look what good women my son has in his harem"?

The Empress Dowager glared furiously at Jia. "You did not do this alone but since you insist on poisoning the children of others". Everyone paled when Rong Pei and Fujia the Empress Dowager's close attendant walked up to Jia. The guards took hold of her. The concubines watched as Rong Pei forced Jia's mouth open, and Fujia poured a hot soup down her throat. "Then you shall have no more". The room was silent while the woman wept. The Empress Dowager, however, did not pity her and left to watch Ruyi.

The Emperor watched on silently before speaking, "Yu clan has already apologized for sending you to this harem as their King was still here". His eyes were hard, "You shall no longer have their support but I as the emperor have no use for you". He turned to the captain of his personal guard.

"Announce to all the guards that this woman is now my gift to them for when they need relief, they may do whatever they want but do not let her die".

He then turned to the other women who stood like stone. "Yu GuiFei, Shu Fei you are to accompany huáng guìfēi till she gives birth. I trust you both to look out for any more incidents". Few of the other consorts understood what the Emperor was doing. With Jia demoted, there were only four high-ranking concubines in the harem. The emperor had just put three of them together. As they were all pregnant, he had ensured that more eyes would be on their food, health, and safety. Noble Consort Chun raised her silk napkin to her face to block her smile as she had expected this.

Ling Yunche, stood beside the emperor as the command was given. He stood firm while ignoring the pleading yet heartbroken glances that Wei Pin had been giving him. The emperor, however, had noted the look with amusement. Wei Yanwan was a bitter woman who had given up love for power.

Ling Yunche, however, had already discarded the woman in his mind. Thinking only of the promise his new family had made to him. As Jin Yuyan was dragged out of the palace the Empress Dowager walked into the hall. She looked at the women who sat in silence. Her anger had dimmed when she sat with Ruyi. Who had taken her hand and squeezed it in a reassuring way. As she stared at the women, she recognised the differences between these women and the women of the generations before.