第十七章

The eastern tour had begun many were leaving the palace with bright smiles, Ruyi sat in a luxurious carriage with a smile on her face her newest gifts from the emperor sat curled in her lap

The eastern tour had begun many were leaving the palace with bright smiles, Ruyi sat in a luxurious carriage with a smile on her face her newest gifts from the emperor sat curled in her lap. A beautiful Birman kitten lay curled up with her mate a handsome Somali kitten that occasionally rubbed his head against his mate. The two cats were beautiful and quiet something she would need if she wanted her pets to survive.

The Empress had recovered from her smallpox and insisted that she come along even though she was heavily depressed and pale as a sheet. Yet Ruyi found this amusing and could not wait to see this woman's end. The trip to QiLu was short in her opinion and free of drama arriving at the summer palace Ruyi was escorted straight to her chambers and smiled these were in a different room from before. She noticed that this was previously the room the Empress was in. The closest room to the emperor she could not help but grin it seems as if the favouritism towards her was now in full show. She freshened up and made her way with Noble Consort Chun to the emperor's room where he sat with the empress Jingse sat next to them with a frown on her face.

The emperor glanced at Ruyi and smiled he leaned back and watched the Empress "You had smallpox and had just lost a child I did not expect you to insist upon joining this trip" He did not even allow her to speak and turned his head to his daughter who gave him a smile. He then remembered something he had to address "All my children are worthwhile and blessed by the ancestors you should not wish death on them because you did not have a boy".

The Empress paled even through her heavy makeup and her head snapped to her daughter who sat there with a neutral expression on her face looking every bit the princess she was born as. How dare she tell the Emperor what she said to her!

Noble Consort Chun paled as she saw the dark look the empress was giving her daughter while Ruyi only hummed lightly before drinking her tea. The emperor smirked and made his way out of the room with Ruyi and Jingse behind him, Noble Consort Chun ran out behind them not soon after.

That night the empress stared at herself sorrowfully in the mirror "Jingse has become bold and unfilial and I have lost the emperor's affection" Her smile was small and full of sadness as she understood now that her position was an empress in name but not in power. The Ula-Nara woman handled all the management of the harem and had a son. Whom the Emperor adored and gave the name that indicated he might be the next person on the dragon throne. And she had no heir as all her sons had perished.

With a heavy heart, she went to bed trying her best not to curse anyone else for it seemed all those curses were coming back at her.

____

The sweet sounds of birds and the sounds of laughter from the maids as they gathered the flowers for their mistress made Ruyi smile her eyes eventually wandered to a smiling Souxin. Jingse stood in the room practising her swordplay ensuring that it was still up to her mother's standards "Come sit and drink tea with me" Ruyi said after assessing Jingse's stance. The girl happily joined after wrapping her swords up and hiding them away.