Imperial Harem Rankings

Empress (皇后; huáng hòu), only one in the imperial harem.

Imperial Noble Consort (皇贵妃; 皇貴妃; huáng guì fēi), only one in the imperial harem.

Noble Consorts (贵妃; 貴妃; guì fēi), only two in the imperial harem.

Consorts (妃; fēi), only four in the imperial harem.

Concubines (嫔; 嬪; pín), only six in the imperial harem.

Noble Ladies (贵人; 貴人; guì rén), unlimited number in the imperial harem.

First Class Female Attendant (常在; cháng zài), unlimited number in the imperial harem.

Choice Lady or Second Class Female Attendant (答应; 答應; dā yìng), unlimited number in the imperial harem.

Female Attendant (官女子; guān nǘ zǐ), unlimited number in the imperial harem, typically granted to female servants whom the emperor has taken to a liking and to accompany him without any official recognition. This rank was also not part of the official concubine ranking.

Additional Information:

Consorts that attained the rank of Imperial Concubine (嬪) and above would be honoured with a residence in the main section of a palace in the Forbidden City. Consorts that attained the rank of Imperial Concubine and above, when being addressed by lower-ranked concubines and servants, would have to be addressed as Your Highness (娘娘; níangniang). All people were expected to use deprecating self-titles when addressing higher ranks, and concubines were no different.