第十三章

It was easy to ensure the emperor got sick and that the woman that spent the night with him was the empress

It was easy to ensure the emperor got sick and that the woman that spent the night with him was the empress. This time when the emperor was announced ill it was not the empress that accompanied the Empress Dowager to visit him. Ruyi walked alongside her mother-in-law with stern eyes the two women observed the Emperor before Ruyi sighed. 

She turned to the men accompanying the emperor "How is huángsháng?" The eunuch bows with shaking hands "Replying to Niangniang the Imperial Physician said that huángsháng will recover well." Ruyi gave a small smile and nodded "And ánghòu what was said about her health" The Empress Dowager also seemed interested in the question asked, "The Imperial Physician is concerned about the empress, but she will recover well".

Ruyi nodded and glanced at Empress Dowager "The Empress is ill, Noble Consort Chun is in early pregnancy and Consort Jia has to raise the prince, I shall instruct Imperial Concubine Mei and Imperial Concubine Shu to serve the emperor alongside the other available consorts. If it becomes needed, I will visit to ensure all is well".

The Empress Dowager looked at Ruyi and nodded her eyes shining with approval, it seemed that Ruyi had finally understood her advice from so long ago. The two women walked out of the room and for the first time in years, the Empress Dowager accepted Ruyi's help.

Ruyi sat in her palace with all the emperor's women as she was the most senior member of the harem who also assisted in managing the hòugòng the other women listened intently as she spoke "Huánghòu is ill, Noble Consort Chun and wu are pregnant, and Consort Jia has a prince she must raise. Imperial Concubines Mei and Shu alongside Consort Yu and the rest of you are to attend to the emperor. The Empress Dowager and I are counting on you to represent the hòugòng well".

Her tone was calm but there was a very light threatening tone, indicating that any schemes at this time would not be tolerated. "You may disperse Noble Consort Chun; Consort Jia and Consort Yu stay behind" As the other women left the two named consorts stayed seated as Ruyi sighed and rubbed her head. 

"Huángshàng and Huánghòu got ill from something contagious, and it is not known how it got to them be careful of your health and the health of your huángzǐs". The three women bowed before giving her thanks. 

The warning came at a good time, and it caused the three women to be more cautious. It took three days for the empress to awaken even though she had healed and taken up managing the harem however the Empress Dowager had stopped her from taking care of the Emperor as she was too weak.

As the days passed Ruyi spent her time with Imperial Concubine Shu encouraging the woman to pray for the emperor and gaining her trust and respect. By the end of the week, the Emperor had recovered and was well as expected the first thing he did was spend the next few nights with the women that took care of him. 

Ruyi smirked and feed the bird as she and Imperial Concubine Shu spoke about the Emperor when the eunuch came in with the soup Ruyi frowned and discreetly shook her head. Yihuan noticed and smiled before taking the bowl and seemingly swallowing and giving back the bowl as the eunuch left, she spat the drink out into a plant container. 

Ruyi smiled and handed her some tea "The Emperor is not sure about your affection as the Empress Dowager chose you" Yihuan paused and sighed there was no anger in her eyes only understanding.

"Thank you" Ruyi just nodded and continued to feed the bird "If you want to survive in this place don't solely lean on the Emperor or the Empress Dowager have confidence in yourself" Yihuan stared at Ruyi in surprise before nodding.

 'No wonder Consort Yu changed so much she had Xian Guifei to teach her. Xian Guifei loves the emperor the most in this palace, yet she managed to understand that he could not protect her from everything' Imperial Concubine shu's thoughts stayed in her mind for the rest of the day. Unknown to Ruyi she had gained another supporter within the harem.

As the days past Ruyi planned and grew, however, she still hid the gender of her child to protect not only herself but the child in her womb. Before she knew it the empress was pregnant, and she was ready to give birth.

No one expected it while the Empress was sending time with the Imperial Physician Ruyi had gone into labour. Yikun Palace was filled with anxious servants and those closest to Ruyi. The Emperor, Consort Yu and Imperial Concubine Shu sat in the adjacent hall with eyes filled with worry. Hongli was wringing his hands when his mother walked in. The Empress Dowager was never present at the births of any of the royal children before. Yet here she was sitting beside her son with an unknown expression in her eyes.

Soon the sounds of Ruyi's screams echoed and like a good friend Hailan made her way into the room and sat beside her friend holding her hand tightly "Jiejie you can do this" Ruyi turned to Hailan, her hair clung to her skin as the light sheen of sweat glowed in the light. Tears in her eyes as she screamed out while the midwives and Imperial Physicians panicked. "Niangniang, we see the head continue pushing".

Their loud cries caused the emperor to worry, yet the empress dowager gripped his hand and whispered "Ruyi is a warrior she will make it out of this battle unscathed" Her words filled with so much conviction that the emperor calmed down. There was one final scream before a child's cries filled the air and Ruyi leaned back and smiled. The child was born safely alongside Ruyi who lost no blood this time.

"Congratulations Niangniang it's a prince" Ruyi smiled and held her son with proud eyes. Hailan stood and watched as they cleaned her friend up this time the emperor could enter. The first to enter was the Empress Dowager who held the boy and smiled "Good, good" she said as she watched the child who was soon handed to his father who smiled brightly at him before gently pulling on the wisps of hair he managed to get his little hands on.

Hongli looked down at the boy and smiled "Ruyi let's call him Yongji" Ruyi this time froze as did the Empress Dowager the two women exchanged worried looks before the older gave a nod, she would handle the fallout if anything. Ruyi gave the emperor a tired smile before nodding "Yongji is a good name".

Hailan smiled and softly spoke "When I birthed Yongqi, Your Majesty said Qi as in great jade. Yongqi and Yongji are a great pair of siblings." The Empress Dowager smirked it seemed that Consort Yu had given her the perfect excuse.

The Empress sat in her room with angry eyes that woman had birthed a boy and now her own child's upcoming presence was threatened. Unknown to the empress she was losing allies quickly.