I thought you died S.J

Scarlett and you have been in a relationship for quite some time. You always wanted to pop the question but you have been hiding something serious from her. Something you have been carrying all your life.

You were first skeptical when you got in a relationship, but with her, you felt like you were cared for, looked after, acknowledged. There were times where you almost convinced yourself to tell her but you'd always back out at the last second.

Scarlett was waiting for you at the restaurant that you had booked, but after waiting for fifteen minutes without your response, she felt something was up. You would never blow her off like that especially since you were really excited about your date.

Panicking, Scarlett got in her car and drove to your house. When she saw you laying on the couch, she heaved a sigh of relief. There were times when you would set your alarm at the wrong time and only to realise this an hour later. Scarlett thought it was one of these moments and went round to wake you up.

"Y/N... wake up dear." She tried to shake you awake but you weren't responding. "Geez... what did you do that made you so tired?" She decided to carry you up to bed since you were clearly not responding to anything. Scarlett noticed something was wrong as she got closer to you. She couldn't see your chest moving up and down and instantly went to check if you had any pulse.

"Baby, this isn't funny. Wake up." Scarlett said tapping your cheeks. "You're scaring me. Wake up!" Anyone could hear the shakiness in her voice even though she tried to be serious.

Scarlett scrambled for her bag and took out her phone to call the ambulance. They came within fifteen minutes and brought you to the hospital. Along the way, they tried all sorts of methods to bring a pulse back. Scarlett lost her cool when she was sat at the back with them as she looked at each failed attempt.

She didn't know your medical history so when the medic asked for her help, she drew a blank.

After reaching the hospital, they keyed your name into their database and managed to find the root of the cause. "Ms Y/L/N has Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, usually triggered by strong emotions, which was why we were unable to bring her back earlier. She still has a pulse, but it is way too slow and low for us to detect. We just injected some medication for her and she should wake up within the hour." Doctor Edward explained to Scarlett. She thanked the doctor and watched as he left your room.

"You gave me such a fright. I really thought you died." Scarlett said as she looked at you sleeping peacefully, with your chest visibly moving up and down this time.

True to the doctor's statement, you woke up an hour later and you instantly recognised where you were. It wasn't foreign to you to wake up in the hospital once you blacked out.

Hearing a low sigh coming from your mouth, Scarlett immediately shot up and checked on you. "Don't do that again." She said sternly.

"Hi... Sorry I missed lunch. I was getting ready to go but-" You stopped yourself. You weren't sure if you wanted to tell her.

"But what, Y/N? You have to tell me so I can help you in the future." Her voice was laced with concern.

"My dad... he..." You clenched your fist when you remembered his text. Scarlett rubbed your arms to let you know she's here for you.

"Breathe Y/N. I don't want you passing out on me again."

"He left. He packed up and just left."

"I'm sorry Y/N. I know how much you wanted it to work." Scarlett gave you a hug and comforted you. You cried on her shoulders and very quickly formed a wet patch.

"How long have you had this narcolepsy?" Scarlett asked after you had calmed down for a few minutes. She was now in bed together with you and you laid in front of her.

"All my life."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

You slightly laughed at her comment. "Yeah. I've accidentally been pronounced dead twice."

"What!?" She pushed me off her slightly and turned my body to face her.

"I managed to wake up before they moved me to 'fridge'."

"How can you laugh about that?"

"It made me realise how precious life is and I should take every opportunity before I get buried six feet under."

"Don't say that!"

"I'm sorry."

"You're with me." Scarlett pulled me back and laid my head on her. "I'm not going to allow you to go anywhere."

Written on 23 Jan 2022
Posted on 23 Jul 2022