10

^^Matt

Matt suggested we meet in Lyon since I had to head home and he's in Italy, so the trip wouldn't be that long. I agreed since it was imperative that I see him asap. I contacted my security detail and said we'd be going home early. They were obviously a little disappointed, especially since some had booked tours. I then surprised them and the pilot about rerouting to Lyon. They were confused, but didn't question me.

There was a tenseness on the flight. I'm sure my occupied mind was felt by the guys. Even Hugo kept to himself as a way to give me space. My mind was racing with thoughts and I desperately needed to see Matt to either confirm or deny my theories. I really hope he'll deny them.

This was one of the times where I wish the flight took longer. I wanted to prolong this conversation for as long as possible. Unfortunately, the plane landed and I had to get off. I shocked my detail by telling them I wanted no security personnel following me. Hugo and the head security tried to push back, but I said my decision was final. The rest of them looked at the leader since they didn't know what to do. I told them to allow me to leave and I'll explain to Lara later. They were hesitant, so I just got in a car and left.

I didn't even play music as I drove to the location. I was so distracted by my thoughts that the hour drive quickly passed. I scrunched my brows when I pulled up to the location Matt provided. I expected a restaurant, not a multistory building with a courtyard built into it. I slowed the vehicle to a stop and got out. I looked both ways before crossing the busy street. The vehicles whizzed down the street while pedestrians tried to avoid plowing each other over.

I glanced at my phone to make sure I got the location correct. I then entered the building and walked into the middle of the courtyard. I heard a noise, so I looked up and saw Matt in the skybox. He motioned for me to come to him. I found the stairs and climbed the three stories before entering the skybox. Matt crossed his arms and leaned against a table while softly smiling at me.

"How have you been, Mia?"

"A little fatigued. Didn't sleep much last night." I stared out the glass window onto the courtyard.

"Why?"

"Because I've been thinking." I picked up a random object and played around with it. "Why are you keeping me in the dark with this investigation? And who authorized it?"

"Mia, you know I can't tell you that."

"Why not allow me to speak with Zayn and Jade?"

"You're not an agent anymore-"

"Matt, you know that's bs. We use consultants all the time." I placed the object down. "Why are you keeping me out of the loop?" I pressed.

"Mia, I don't answer to you."

"I'm the princess-"

"In Italy. And this has to do with work. Meaning that you're not my superior." He sternly spoke. "Why are you really here?"

"I want to be fully a part of this case." Matt scoffed at my words. "Why can't I be fully involved? What's the issue with that?"

"Mia, you're a consultant. You're retired and no longer a part of the unit. That means that you're only given a certain section to work on and that's it. I know you're not used to-"

"You're blocking me for a reason. What don't you want me finding out?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Why don't you tell me what you found out?" He posed back.

"Bring me fully on board and I'll be of service." I mocked him.

"Are you withholding circumstantial evidence and aiding in a criminal enterprise?" He quirked a brow while I glared. "Because that would be highly illegal." His voice dropped.