Chapter 10- Yamíl

I like brown eyes because they're all I've seen– Yamíl

  I'm pretty sure my drink has been spiked but I'm too tired to ask London, even though she's right next to me. Come to think of it, she's been next to me for way too long. What does she want? Why did she spike my drink?

"What is in this?" I finally grab enough strength to ask.

"Red wine," she answers immediately. A quick glance at her reveals that she's smirking to herself. What the hell?

"And you gave it to me because..._

"I wanted you to have a drink, to enjoy the party. Do you wanna know something Yamíl?" She suddenly turns to face me.

"I'm pretty sure I don't," I grumble.

"I like you."

"Wowww," I drawl. Some part of me thinks she's blabbing because of the wine but after a second I realize she's serious. "That doesn't explain why you gave me alcohol."

"I didn't force you to drink it, you chose to drink it," she shrugs. My frown deepens.

"Are you sick? You spike my drink, deceive me into drinking it, tell me you like me and then shrug it off? Am I supposed to be intrigued?"

"The wine isn't too much, don't exaggerate."

"Get away from me."

"To be honest the spiking idea wasn't mine. I just didn't want you to remember my confession that's why I did it."

"You're in SS3, are you going to intoxicate every guy you like before you tell them about it?" I ask bitterly. At this point I think the alcohol is wearing off, her words are forcing me to think.

"I–"

"Save yourself the embarrassment and leave," a new voice interrupts. London and I simultaneously look up to find Osas leaning on the nearest pillar, giving us an amused look.

"Great," London mutters, rolling her eyes. I take this new presence to my advantage and hand Osas the drink.

"She spiked it." I'm aware of the fact that I sound like a four year old reporting to his class teacher but it doesn't matter. Osas takes the drink from my hand and settles her gaze on London.

"Scoot," she orders. For some reason, London doesn't object, she just drags herself up and walks away.

"Did you hear everything?" I ask her.

"Yup."

"She's not alright."

"She was lying."

I blink. What I expected to hear was yes, she's definitely not alright.

"What?"

"Don't tell me you actually bought that story, nobody would do that Yamíl. Not even bone head London."

"But if she didn't do it because she wanted to confess...why did she?"

"That's the million dollar question, and we're going to find out the answer."

••••

   The party begins to round off by 4:30.  And the car park is filled with parents waiting for their kids. I'm standing outside, bottle of Sprite in my hand, casually waiting for my mum to show up when a familiar silver Lexus drives in. I know the Lexus because it's one of a kind, the latest they've made and very few people are driving it in EAC because of how much fuel it consumes.

Also, it's Osas's dad's car. Not too long after he parks I spot Osas making her way out of the hall, purse in her hand. She looks tired and worn out, her slim figure falling just a bit. She enters the car without prelude, no friends to wave goodbye, she just goes in and then she's out.

As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm glad she appeared so suddenly. Even though we didn't speak after that incident I feel strangely attached to her now. We have a secret, a mission, and it's weirdly satisfying.

"Are you okay?" Jibril asks, coming to stand next to me.

"Hmm? Yes, why?"

"You were staring at her for so long. Did something happen between you two? When she came back she told me London had spiked your drink but she had this grim expression on her face."

"Maybe she just didn't enjoy my company, nothing happened."

"So why were you staring?"

"I wasn't staring."

"You definitely were."

"Shut up. If I was staring I would know, is it not my eyes?"

"Yes boss."

I use the bottle of Sprite to hit his head playfully but he swiftly dodges it.

"I'm going to Salma's place on Friday," he says after a moment.

"You said she was pretty," I remind him. If she's pretty then he can manage, at least they didn't give him an ogre to marry.

"She's beautiful but it doesn't make things more comfortable."

"Of course not, you guys barely know each other, it's not supposed to be," I give him a crazy look but then decide to go counselor mode. "Listen I know it sounds crazy but I've known your mum since I was 10. And nothing she's ever done since that time has turned out wrong."

"Uhh, I can give you a few examples."

"Nothing major," I amend. "If she believes this girl will work for you it's probably because she will. Get to know her, give her a chance."

"Look at you, spilling wisdom here and there," he teases.

"Eeez not easy o," I play along, dusting the dirt off my shoulders.

Not long after I see my mum's Range Rover pull over. She sees me immediately, horning twice for my attention. I raise my hands to signify that I've seen her and then quickly yell for Mercy who's been chit chatting with some boy a little distance away. That's something I'll have to take care of when we get home.

"See you tomorrow," I tell Jibril. We do our complicated hand shake slash hug before I jog my way down to my mom's car.

"See you."

_________________
Changes! Changes! What are your guesses people?

QOTD:
How are you?
____________