Chapter 37- Osas

I just think you're very angry- Tiwa

When I settle down to eat dinner with the others I have a secret smile on my face. Although I would never admit this to her, Winnie's visit did a lot to lighten my mood. I'm so happy about her wedding that even seeing mummy doesn't deflate my happiness.

Of course, until she speaks.

"Did your sister come to see you?" She asks. I don't know why she's asking me, I look at her from the corners of my eyes trying to understand her ploy. She knew Winnie was coming to pick me so why does she bother asking me?

"Yes," I answer either way. Tiwa pours some of my Hollandia into my glass, a reminder that I should calm down I guess. Tonight Samuel is absent from dinner so it's just three of us.

"She told you about the wedding?" She asks again, cutting her meat with all the class in the world.

"Yes. Why didn't anyone tell me? Aren't you supposed to have been making massive preparations? I mean it's not going to be a small deal-"

"Do you want to go?" She interrupts me. I blink, this is the same question Winnie asked earlier.

"Of course I want to go, it's my sister's wedding." I watch in horror as mummy inhales and twists her bangle nervously. I can bet ten thousand naira that whatever she's planning on saying next is not good.

"I actually think it would be better if you didn't. Your father will be there as well and I don't want him to see you." I said it.

"It doesn't really matter whether or not he's there. One way or the other I'm still going to meet him."

"I don't want him near you, he doesn't deserve to even set eyes on the beautiful girl he abandoned."

"Mummy I can't miss my sister's wedding for someone so insignificant. Even if I was writing Further maths in Waec on the day Winnie decided to get married I would still go," I insist, desperate for her to cave in.

"Winnie does want you to come," she reasons.

"We can't leave her alone at home as well," Tiwa pipes in happily.

"Alright fine, we're all going!" Mummy caves in, smiling widely. I try to focus on the fact that she accepted and not on the fact that she was just about to steal my major source of happiness from me once again. I'm going to that wedding regardless of who's in it.

••••

At school I tell everyone I see about Winnie's wedding, considering the fact that I've only mentioned her to some of my friends, this news shocked many people. Of course, many people were booked with school but they didn't forget to remind me to bring something for them, classic Nigerians.

I'm so stuck in my world and joy that it's only doing English class that I realize Travis isn't at school today too.

Immediately I turn to where Faith sits across and whisper to her frantically.

"Did you guys still go see Travis yesterday?" It takes her a moment to process the question.

"Yes...his dad is sick." I can tell from her face that that isn't all.